Author Topic: Rock run in da UP eh  (Read 7045 times)

Offline DanaM

Rock run in da UP eh
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:52:33 am »
Wife and I took off up north friday with the goal of looking for anything knappable :) As most of ya know that
means quartzite here in the UP ;D >:( ??? Hillbilly had told be I needed to find somme larger tabular chunks and
I think this stuff counts :) I should have brought a steel bar to lever some out, or maybe some dynamite  :o
Anyway the first pic is me standing on a outcropping of Yooperite on a roadcut North of the Clevland Cliffs iron mine
near Palmer(El D will know where), then some pics of the rock, its tough stuff. Any advice on knapping this stuff will be
appreciated, and yea I already know know to hit it hard :D

The last picture is an artifact I saw in a rock shop in Ishpeming, (El D's hometown) Enjoy eh :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: Rock run in da UP eh
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 07:00:17 am »
Here's a few more pics, some of you may remember me mentioning slag from old pig iron smelters.
I stopped at Bay Furnace on Lake Superior and risked imprisonment for stealing artifacts to get this piece :o
First pic is the remains of the smelter, which melted the ore which was then cast in sand molds. Not sure what part of the
process created the slag, but this is a nice piece here its just like obsidian, don't think you can see the color in the pictures but its purple.
I've seen it in many other colors also. Not easy to find nice pieces that are solid usually filled with gas pockets and junk.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:41:55 am »
Dana:  Don't know about da first rocks, looks like it could use some major heat!  The slag is beautiful!  Have made lots of ear ring and necklace sets out of it and the air pockets don't matter if they are small.  Fun stuff to work with!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 09:05:29 am »
Dang, that rock looks tough Dana! I hear good things about that slag glass.

Offline ducosniffer

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:53:41 am »
My elbow started hurtin just looking at those pics.  That looks like some tough stuff there.

PeteDavis

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:28:10 am »
Nice furnace, thanks for the pics.

PD

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:29:10 am »
Yup its tough I broke both my good hammerstones on it this morning >:( But when its all ya have and yer addicted to banging on rocks
whats a fella going to do eh ??? Ya wanna trade for some, some of that girly rock from Missouri would be nice to work ;) :D

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:21:54 am »
DANA,

you got more balls than i,that is some tuff looking rock there.good luck with it
that slag glass on the other hand,looks nice i wouldnt mind getting my hands on a nodule of that stuff.
but then again i like obsidion

fine looking canine too ;)

peace,
                                                                           tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:10 am »
Yep ...I have been past Goose Lake and that Rock Cut a Bunch going to the Empire Mine in Palmer....and what were Ya doing in "DA YOOPER STORE".........I betcha had ta buy something before Ya left to ....eh!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:42:32 am »
Ya mike I had to but a new beer sweater ;D Ya know to keep yer beer from frezzin ;)
Saw some of yer brothers carvings in der too eh, nice stuff

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 11:56:04 am »
He does some nice work....Antler Carvings.... Chainsaw Carvings....and Antler Cribbage Boards too.........too bad He has to drive a Bus to suppliment his Income!! He should be doing that all year long....did ya see Da Readed Karooka Monster Head in der whenyou was der?? Man dem tings are Feirce!!!

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 08:27:01 am »
I musta missed da Karooka monster :'(

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 02:39:19 pm »
That's the spot you were looking for, Dana. I likes those big flat pieces. :) Nice looking slag, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 02:56:58 pm »
Better get out the jack hammer for that stuff  :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 05:32:00 pm »
That is one mighty large hunk of quartzite Dana. Looks like some tough stuff but I know you'll be posting some points out of it soon. Cool road trip!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.