Author Topic: Yew Stave Challenge  (Read 1984 times)

Offline CaribooMike

Yew Stave Challenge
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:13:26 pm »
Hi all.  I'm new to the bow making world having only built a couple of bows.  Last one was a self bow from an ash board.  Just used the wisdom of the TBB series and it turned out nice.  A little light in the draw weight, but shoots sweet. 

Anyway, here is the challenge I have.  A friend gave me a few old yew logs that he had stashed away in a garage for many years.  It had nice straight grain and I split is into staves.  There is no checking and the heartwood is tight and sound.  However the sapwood has deteriorated and will not make a bow back.  I plan to scrape down to the heartwood.

So here is my question.  Can I use a heartwood ring for the back, or do I have to back it with something (rawhide or linen) or laminate a back on (bamboo, hickory or?).

Any advice is much appreciated.  The yew is very beautiful and I don't want to mess this up.

Cheers.

Offline Dauntless

Re: Yew Stave Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:34:19 pm »
All the Neolithic yew bows are heartwood only.  You don't need to back it with anything unless the growth rings are cut through.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 06:54:20 pm »
That yew is basically useless, and you should send it to me immediately for rapid disposal.  ;D.

Seriously, an all heartwood yew bow is perfectly fine. You don't have to back it, but rawhide would be my choice.

Offline CaribooMike

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:28:59 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  It is easy to remove wood and hard to replace it, so go slow and seek advice is my motto.  I'll keep you all posted as this adventure unfolds.  The fellow I got the yew from has a whole garage full that he has offered to me in exchange for building him a longbow and some arrows.  The arrows are coming along fine, but the bow stave had me stumped.

Thanks again for your quick replies.