Author Topic: z splice help  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Aries

z splice help
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »
So I have my osage slates cut and its time to splice them. Can you give me hints or suggestions for this process? I'm planning on using a Z splice and am using a band saw. Thank you very much!  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

radius

Re: z splice help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:16:13 pm »
it's easy.

stack the pieces and tape them together with the ends aligned.  draw the z-splice on the top billet.  Cut them both at once.  Presto!  They fit together.  NO problem.

If the cut is a little gappy, you can steam or boil the billets and then clamp them together.  This makes the wood conform to the cut and closes the gaps.  Leave it clamped for a few days in a ventilated place so it can air out.

When fully dry, glue them together and you are good to go.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:07:20 am »
it is easier to draw the splice neatly on piece of paper and glue the pattern on your slat with Elmers glue. The picture is of a limb replacement on a busted bow but you can see how the pattern is glued to the new limb.

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:57:49 pm »
Thanks guys this worked out great, i got it cut and it will fit perfect with just a bit of sandin ;D
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:47:09 am »
Some page in TTBI mentions filling in any gaps with wood slivers and lots of glue and then proceed to clampup.  Works for me :)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline wakosama

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 02:48:16 pm »
A previous post on this forum recommended you mark and cut the splice in the handle area width only, not the whole limb width so you don't cut off part of the splice when you narrow the middle of the bow for the handle.
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!