Author Topic: Purple leaf plum question...  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Primitive1

Purple leaf plum question...
« on: November 08, 2010, 04:54:13 pm »
Well, after decades of beauty my Mom's Purple leaf plum (domestic) is slowly retiring from old age and evidently a lightning strike some years back...it is an older cultivar and has produced fruit in the past that I've actually made into jelly.  I trimmed her up this year and have a couple of limbs that are straight and I'm wanting to turn into bows...the one I'm currently wanting to work is 72" long and 1 1/4# wide pretty much it's whole length (68# if I cut it short to avoid a branch point near one end)...question I have is what can I expect with this width/length?  I'm not looking for a 'bruiser' here, 50-55lbs would be it at 26-27" draw length...I believe I should be able to get that without an issue but am also considering either/both backing with boo and/or horn belly (have some Oryx horn in milk that's softening and should be ready by December).  I would only use the horn for a short belly piece to avoid the weight in mid to outer limb but since I've never worked with Plum I'm not sure if it's tension or compression strong or moderate?  If anyone knows please let me know...I've got some other branches and a larger diameter piece but I want to ensure I'm not over-taxing anything if I should get 'creative' while I play...cheers - P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Badger

Re: Purple leaf plum question...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 05:26:05 pm »
   I consider plum one of the premium woods, no problem getting 55# out of that stave of yours, I would say about 66" long for a 28" draw should be fine for that branch. Plum is horrible about splitting if it dries too fast so keep it sealed up pretty good and slow dry. Great bow wood. Steve

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 05:45:42 pm »
Thanks Steve, yeah, I've let it sit for a few months in the garage and then brought it inside for a few weeks...the bark started to show 'bubbles' so I scraped it down and now it's a naked branch sitting behing me...plan on flattening the back and belly and might strap a piece of horn to the belly for the heck of it...hopefully plum is good in tension so I don't overstress the back...
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:30:03 pm »
  If you don't seal that naked branch it will be firwood in a day or two. Also if you flatten the back it will most likely break unless you follow the rings when you de-crown it, not sure why you would want horn on the belly, the plum is good wood without the horn you would proably have a lot more to loose than gain. Steve
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:37:02 pm by Badger »