Author Topic: Music Man Bow  (Read 4846 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Music Man Bow
« on: June 25, 2009, 08:09:19 am »
I'm sure several of you who came to the Tn. Classic this year remember Jesse's dad who entertained us evenings with his picking, singing and harmonica playing. I had several conversations with Drew during the week, and grew to really respect him and think of him as a fine person.

Drew was working on an osage bow and was able to get the bow tillered to brace before having to leave. This bow is not to be entered into the Bow of the Month due to several people being involved with it. I think Drew got the stave grain chased, Pappy laid it out, I roughed it in, Drew floor tillered, Pappy straightened it on a form, and Drew and his son Jesse (Leaping Bare) tillered the bow to brace height. I'm guessing on some of the folks there, but please excuse me as it was a very busy week! ;)

Anyhow, on leaving Drew asked me to finish the bow for him. Shannon (SawFiler) had already shaped the beautiful tips on the bow, so that labor of love was already complete! :)  I finished the tillering and the rest of the finish work to the bow. Jesse supplied the grip material, because it was from some brain-tanned deer hide he had earlier given me. Just this past weekend Jesse and I got together and he picked out his dads favorite point from one of Jesse's collection cases and I added that to the bow mounted on a piece of tanned elk hide. We wanted the bow to be special for Drew, and I couldn't think of a better way then to have his talented sons creations be a part of it. By the way, the flint knife in one of the pic's was given to me by Jesse, and I consider it a great gift from a very good friend!

The bow is 66" osage, 45#@27" which is what Drew requested. It really shoots hard for the weight, and is smooth and quiet even without silencers at the moment. I hope yall like it...Drew hasn't seen it yet, but it will soon be on its way to its new home! ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

Re: Music Man Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:45:13 am »
Beautiful bow Greg, congrats to all that worked on it. And yes Drew is a first class guy, I enjoyed talking with him
and his music.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:01:57 am »
Way to go Greg. I got to talk to him a few times myself great guy. The bow is great. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:04:01 am »
Turned out great,I also enjoyed the time we spent together,he is a special guy and now has a very special bow. All from the heart. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:09:31 am »
Awesome ! I'm sure he will love it. The arrow head looks cool too !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:12:18 am »
A super nice bow, well done!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 01:42:37 pm »
I'm sure Drew will like it...will mean all the more to him with his son's contributions and the work others did on the bow. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:21:34 pm »
Super! I remember Drew working on that bow on the corner vise, he put alot into it. Thats great that you finished it for him. He's a really talented guy(as is his son).
Those points in the pictures are sure beauties as well.
Nice job Greg
VB

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »
What a great bow and an awesome way to remember the Classic.   All of the details make that such a fine bow.  Congrats to all that were involved in that build,  it is one beautiful bow.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:43:30 pm »
Great Job Greg....and I too will have memories for Life of Jesse's Dad Playing and Singin for the rest of my Life....he is a special Guy with great Talents
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »
 After some long conversations with Drew, I see why he liked that point Jesse made. It is almost a natural YingYang. Jesse, your Dad is a very talented and fun person to talk to. And Greg, the talent and detail you posses in orchestrating the finished product just highlights the fine quality of this man.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:54:44 pm »
What a beautiful set Greg and all others involved! Better have somebody behind him when he recieves it - wouldn't want him to bop his head on the floor ;D. Man that hc is some nice rock - slobber, slobber ;D ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 03:18:53 pm »
Beautiful work fella's!! Great gear.He should love that outfit. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 07:45:22 pm »
Wow guys! That's a nice bow, and a very kind gesture. You twin oak boys are the best. Your always thinking of others....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 09:34:04 am »
Great looking bow Greg. I love the way you did the leather grip. and that arrow head and knife are awesome. I'm sure he's gonna be more than happy with it.  I remember meeting him as well and he seemed like a great guy. :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark