Author Topic: Laminating questions  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Aries

Laminating questions
« on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:37 am »
I am going to be doing my first lam jobs pretty soon and have some basic noob questions..

1. Will TB3 be sufficient to hold together a BBO RD combo together?

2. I have heard the term "glue up/in" many times while looking at lam bows, my question is..  Does the process of reflexing a bow (such as my BBO) only require that I baste up my flattened boo and sage.. and then clamp it to my form?   And when removed from the form the bow will have the reflex profile?  This is what i have gathered, but it seems like i must be missin somethin ::)

3. How exact to the surfaces have to be in flatness..  My methods now involve going between table saw and jointer and then finishing off with sander.

4. And while I'm at it ;D..    What methods do you guys use for doing color fades on boo.. Such as a red to black fade.. I'm using leather dye now.. but am open to other options  ;D      Thanks guys   Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Laminating questions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:27:44 am »
Sounds like you got the idea. Make sure they are flat enough to fit together without space in between them. TB will not fill the gaps. Once the glue is good and dry it will maintain the profile pretty close to what it was on the form.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:30:22 am »
I bet this is kind or random.. But what about Gorilla glue? Ive used it on my tips for a while.. It expands to 3 times its original size and makes a heck of a mess, but it is really tough as much as i've seen it in action ::)
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Aosda

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:45:59 am »
I have not heard good things about Gorilla glue for bows.  I may be wrong though.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:40:34 am »
Gorilla glue is semi-spongy when fully dry, it will slowly pull apart under constant stress such as in a bow. i have not heard of it working on limbs, mixed results on risers and heard it works fine for overlays. hope this helps.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Barrage

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:50:01 am »
Do yourself a favor and get rid of any and all gorilla glue you have.  You'll save yourself untold time, cuss words, and frustration. ;)  I've only had luck one time with gorilla glue and that was gluing together a ceramic tile. 
Travis

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:22:21 am »
Use Urac 185 to fill the gaps. But better to have a good fit than rely on the glue to hold the gap closed IMHO. The glue has enough to do already. Tooth the surfaces to be glued first(rough them up or drag an old sawblade over them to incise grooves for the glue to grab.

Illuminati

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:41:39 pm »
where can i find Urac 185 for cheap? i dont think its at homedepot or lowes

illuminati

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 12:53:32 pm »
3 rivers carries it.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA