Author Topic: questions on backing  (Read 1799 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

questions on backing
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:27:47 pm »
hey i am still getting the hang of biulding bows. but i have started a black walnut board bow that needs a backing. i have a hickory board that i am thinking of useing as a backing? would that wood work? and if yes how thick should it be? i will take some pics later to show you how it is comming along.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: questions on backing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:34:01 pm »
Hickory will work fine as a backing for black walnut. I usually cut backing strips to about 3/8" which gives me a backing strip of about 1/8" or slightly less after sanding the tool marks out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

Re: questions on backing
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 06:10:47 pm »
Yes, I agree... hickory will work fine. I've done it, and also used maple backing with walnut. 1/8" is perfect for hickory, but I go 3/16" with the maple. Watch out that you don't get too strong of a backing, or make it too narrow, as walnut can fret if it's overpowered (I know this from experience!). I haven't had good luck with bamboo as a backing for walnut. I also tried an ELB trilam with hick/maple/walnut, and it fretted very bad. If the belly wood is ipe, it's a whole 'nother story.