Author Topic: bison back sinew  (Read 10041 times)

Offline bigcountry

bison back sinew
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:20:57 pm »
Well, I got in contact with a bison farm near my house.  He gave me 6lbs of back sinew.  But I really didn't know what I got mysefl into.  The stuff is thick, greasy , and feels like rubber band.  I mean real greasy.  I can't figure out how to dry the stuff out.  I usually put my deer sinew in a dehydrator for a few hours.  But this stuff won't dry. 

So I ripped it up into strips, and put back in.  My next step I guess is to wash the strips in dawn and water and put back in the dehydrator.

I mean this stuff is over 1/4" or more thick.  I guess I expected a nice thin layer off the back like off an elk or deer but about 25" long.

Any tips?
Westminster, MD

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: bison back sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:57:23 pm »
 PM sent.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 05:48:32 pm »
Here is what it looks like.  Nothing like imagined.

Westminster, MD

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:57:17 pm »
That don't look like sinew to me,especially  back sinew. That looks like the strip that lays along the backbone.I'm not sure what it is called, but it ain't sinew?

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:13:25 pm »
That don't look like sinew to me,especially  back sinew. That looks like the strip that lays along the backbone.I'm not sure what it is called, but it ain't sinew?

Yep, back sinew.  Not leg sinew.  You think it should look different for a bison?  Or cow?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:17:11 pm by bigcountry »
Westminster, MD

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 06:43:32 pm »
So is this sinew off of the back loins? I guess I am confused here? ???

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 08:10:41 pm »
So is this sinew off of the back loins? I guess I am confused here? ???

Thats what the butcher said.  I got about 5 pieces almost dried and shredded to smaller pieces.  So I don't know.
Westminster, MD

coyote pup

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:21 am »
It looks real thick, and doesn't look that long for bison sinew. How long is it? As thick as it is, it will take a long time to dry, probably a couple days, as opposed to deer leg sinew that dries in a few hours. Couldn't tell ya anything more as I have never worked with bison sinew myself. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the guys said it's sinew, it probably is.

I do have one suggestion for ya. Take one piece and filet it open down the middle, and you might as well do the whole length so you end up with two halves. See what it's like in the middle. I would say it should be sort of shiny-white, semi glossy and not very greasy at all, as opposed to the outside. Shouldn't be any meat on it, if there is cut it off before it starts stinkin, also, because meat or fat will keep it feeling greasy. I have dealt with whitetail sinew before that stayed greasy forever, but it did dry ok. You just have to give it some time.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:33:52 am »
It looks real thick, and doesn't look that long for bison sinew. How long is it? As thick as it is, it will take a long time to dry, probably a couple days, as opposed to deer leg sinew that dries in a few hours. Couldn't tell ya anything more as I have never worked with bison sinew myself. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the guys said it's sinew, it probably is.

I do have one suggestion for ya. Take one piece and filet it open down the middle, and you might as well do the whole length so you end up with two halves. See what it's like in the middle. I would say it should be sort of shiny-white, semi glossy and not very greasy at all, as opposed to the outside. Shouldn't be any meat on it, if there is cut it off before it starts stinkin, also, because meat or fat will keep it feeling greasy. I have dealt with whitetail sinew before that stayed greasy forever, but it did dry ok. You just have to give it some time.

It looksl ike cow leg sinew in the middle after drying in my dehydrator for a while.  Really stretchy.    Its some sort of tendon, thats for srue.
Westminster, MD

coyote pup

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:41:53 am »
Should be good stuff. I'm envious. How long is it?

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:59:58 am »
Ive never worked with sinew.  When I get froggy, Im going to be giving you a call Mark for advice. ;)

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:44 pm »
Like timo says, doesn't look like loin sinew! I was a professional butcher in my younger days, and have cut on alot of different animals. Silver skin as it is called is just a sheath covering the loin, ask him for that. What you have looks like spinal cord. Good shootin, Steve

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 01:34:25 pm »
That sure doesn't look like any sinew I've ever seen!

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 01:57:43 pm »
looks too thick, is it a fat covering on top of the actual sinew? silver skin is silver skin be it deer, elk, wooly mammoth. should just be a thin layer.
VB

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 02:34:29 pm »
I don't know if its too thick or not.  Has anyone on here seen back sinew from a bison?  I am just trying to figure out what I got. 

I am sending mullet 2.5lbs of it, and he can show us how to work it.   ;D
Westminster, MD