Author Topic: Need help with Bow Building  (Read 3564 times)

Taylor45

Need help with Bow Building
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:56:20 pm »
Hi guys just started making my own bows and learning the methods I live in northern california and the only wood I have on my property is oak and pine I mostly try making bows from oak I have read that the best way to make a bow is from the heart of the tree but everytime I make the bow from the base of the tree its always too stiff and just snaps on me after trimming it down I have tried making bows from branches from the oak tree and have had good success any tips or things I should try to do to be able to make a bow from the base of the oak tree, thanks

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Need help with Bow Building
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:00 pm »
With oak, you want to use the sapwood instead of the heartwood for the back of the bow. Just peel the bark off the stave and use that as the back of the bow, that way you have a continuous unbroken growth ring for the bow back. If you're using heartwood you have to work it down to a single growth ring from one end to the other, or there is a good chance that the bow will break. The only common woods that the heartwood is normally used on are osage orange, black locust, and mulberry. Yew bows are often made from half heartwood, half sapwood. Also, you don't want to trim a stave down and bend it too far until it is tillered to bend evenly. If there is a spot where the bend is uneven, it will usually fail or crack there. I recommend that you get The Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol. 1 and read through it, lots of good info in it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Taylor45

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:31:38 pm »
thanks for the advice ya I just picked up that book yesterday read about 90 pgs and have learned alot from it on how a bow bends and such I was thinking about trying to make the bow wider and thinner and put some kind of backing on it

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 05:40:41 pm »
look up a local hardwood lumber company on google.  A board bow isn't a bad place to start.  no waiting for the wood to dry and all that stuff.  just make sure you pick your boards right.  hickory, ash, maple, red oak are good starters.  look at jawge's site to help with wood selection.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Taylor45

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:23:26 am »
thanks for the advice sulphur I was thinking about going to the local hardwood store and seeing if I can get my hands on some hickory or maybe maple

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 07:31:19 pm »
Don't rule out red and white oak. Both make great bows. Bows from boards are pretty easy if you have the right board. Good luck, have some fun.

Taylor45

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:14:49 pm »
thanks for the advice grunt all I have on my property is blue oak digger pine and manzanita

Offline redwasp

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 07:32:39 pm »
Maybe, if we knew what tools you have that would help. I started with a sapling because it was free, Whatever is the cheapest way for you is the best. ;). I have some hickory staves but they are green would cost alot for shipping. When they dry some maybe we can make a trade. I hear they have some Obsidian in you neck of the woods! >:D
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 07:43:24 pm »
Thank you, sulphur. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Taylor45

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:58:40 am »
Maybe, if we knew what tools you have that would help. I started with a sapling because it was free, Whatever is the cheapest way for you is the best. ;). I have some hickory staves but they are green would cost alot for shipping. When they dry some maybe we can make a trade. I hear they have some Obsidian in you neck of the woods! >:D

I have a table saw and jig saw other than that just hand files and hopefully going to pick up a drawknife soon, Ya theres alot of obsidian up here