Author Topic: my colectiong of rock and hammer stone.  (Read 4294 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

my colectiong of rock and hammer stone.
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:50:20 am »
here are some pics of me trying to break rock for arrow heads. they are a start. i think. :-\ ???. right now i am starting to get confertable breaking the stone. and i am makeing good breaks i think you guys tell me i only started to day and this is what i got out of about 15 pounds of obsidian. i even got pics of the scrape. any way here they are.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline 65x55 swedis

Re: my colectiong of rock and hammer stone.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:53:54 am »
that last one is my dog that get in my way  ;D ;). here is my rock supple about 35 pound of obsidian. and thanks to majsnuff that is the one that provided me with all the rock. thanks majsnuff

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 01:12:55 am »
oooh, I'd like to get my hands (and boppers) on a pile of obs like that ;D. I'd say your learning an important skill here "learning how that rock spalls" which is basically how to knap. It's all concoidal, like the old  bb shot into the window pane from percussion to pressure. You have a lot of usable spalls there. Work on your symetry with pressure and you'll take a leap forth into knapping :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 01:59:25 am »

Ah indeed you have some nice stuff there.  Looks like you have the spalling down, and some very nice ones at that.  Now the pads, gloves, bandaids, and super glue, and book of sailors cuss words from around the world.  ;) :D ;D

Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:02:07 am »
Yer off to a good start, practice,practice,practice :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:10:31 am »
nice spalling there,wish i could do that
all i get when i try to spall is rubble,so i stick to slabs.hoping to learn how to spall at an upcoming knapp in

now the real fun begins,the flaking and bleeding >:D

good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:10:00 am »
hey here are some arrow heads i made to day with pics of the wounds!! :o :-[

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:43:17 am »

If ya ain't bleedin ya ain't knappin ! ;D  It comes with the addiction. ;)

Wayne

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:32:17 am »
Be very carefull with obsidian! Especially any large peices with sharp edges. A few weeks back I brushed a knuckle on one and sliced it open deeper than I thought. Just slapped a bandaid on it and thought that would do it. BUT! Now the knuckle pops pretty good when I move it from time to time. I think it was the cartilidge on the side of the knuckle that got the damage but not the muscle as I can still move it. So, be VERY carefull around obsidian!!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 01:22:08 pm »

Ditto to what Tiller said.  After all it is the sharpest substance know to man.  I have cut myself on it, and not know it till I saw blood, or felt the rock get sticky, and my hand felt wet.  It will cut you so fast that you will bleed yesterday! ;D  Wear gloves, and eye protection, and if not in a well ventilated area, a dust mask. ;)

Wayne

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 05:28:20 pm »
A dust mask rated for asbestos too!  :o
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 11:43:25 am »
Points look good - your having fun now. Ahh, and the leaks. I like bandaids best :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.