Author Topic: My Heat Gun Died  (Read 5356 times)

Offline tom sawyer

My Heat Gun Died
« on: June 17, 2009, 03:24:58 pm »
I had this thing for somewhere close to ten years.  Heat-straightened many many bow limbs with it.  Most recently it was used to heat the labels off wine bottles, somewhere around case number 50 it gave out.  Still blows air, but no heat.  I think the the wife was a little hard on it when she was using it.

Went out and bought another just like it, hopefully it will give the same good service as the first.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: My Heat Gun Died
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 04:55:45 pm »
Well, that's good. I hope you get  long life from this one. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 05:09:56 pm »
Wow I wish mine would last 10 years!!  I bought the el-cheapo brand from Harbor Freight and I am now on my 2nd and I have only been doing this like 7 months!  Maybe this one will last half that long.  What brand was yours?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:39:46 pm »
The first heat gun I bought was a cheapo Chicago electric from harbor freight tools and it lasted a couple years. Naturally when it died I went and bought the same one. It lasted two weeks. I figured it was a fluke so I took it back and got another one it lasted a month. Finally I got sick of the hassle and decided to upgrade and went with a higher quality Wagner gun from Lowe's. It cost 5 x as much but I've been using it hard now for 3+ years and its still going strong, knock on wood...... :) Like with most things especially tools, you get what you pay for at least most of the time....lol.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:37:31 am »
I use to buy cheap ones,now I buy good ones and always keep a spare. Mine get a lot of abuse but have only had one go down in the last 4 or 5 years.I use Blue point from Snap On.They are pretty high but have lasted great. :) Nothing worse than to be in the middle of a project and the heat gun go out. >:(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:18:26 pm »
That first one was a Wagner, its replacement looks identical.  Guess there hasn't been a whole lot of advancement in the technology.  That or they decided not to mess with a good thing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 05:22:12 pm »
good choice pappy ;D

i use the snap on brand one myself.needed it for work and it just semed to find its way home one  day ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 12:20:31 am »
I bought a Wagner gun a while back at Menard's. I think I paid about $40 or so maybe. It has a digital temperature control on the back and a nice cool down feature. I really like the cool down feature.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04:22 am »
 I just read in this morning's paper that 300,00 Wagners have been recalled. It seems they come back on after you turn them off. You can get details by calling 888-925-6244.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:42:44 am »
      Mesnards.....where you from Kiltedcelt?? Michigan....Minnesota....Wisconsin....Illinois.....Indiana....Ohio?? You are definitely a Yankee too!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 11:03:32 am »
I bought a milwalkey brand 10 yrs ago, wished it had an hour meter on it.Been borrowed numerous time by folks wanting to defrost freezers..Still works like new. But yea, it cost plenty.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 11:20:38 am »
This one was $25, no digital anything.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline cracker

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 12:11:37 pm »
I started with a b&d from the orange builders mart it lasted about 4 usings and died right in the middle of a bow straightening. I borrowed one to finish the job and then bought a Milwaukee it puts out lots of head you have to be careful with that rascal or charred wood will be in your future. It cost about 69.00. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 01:23:09 pm »
Well, I had breakfast last Sunday with the master of heat guns, The God father of Osage, Mr. Gary Davis! I asked him about the use and type of heat guns? He said any will do, Period! So if your poor or unemployed, or just frugal, "fancy for cheap," have at it! I know I am! Good shootin and heat bending bows, Steve

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:25:35 pm »
Gary oughta be getting a kick-back from at least one of the major heatgun manufacturers.  Sounds like he ought to hit up Milwaukee, or Snap-On.  Whats a Snap-On heatgun for anyway?  Stripping paint off an engine block?

I suppose Gary drank Dr Pepper for breakfast?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO