Author Topic: DOUBLE-SPLICE?  (Read 1954 times)

radius

DOUBLE-SPLICE?
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:23:09 pm »
Hey,

I was just looking on e**y for staves, and this question occured to me...if your billets are quite short, do people ever splice THREE pieces together, two limb pieces spliced to a riser-type piece?

throwing it out there....???????

thanks

radius

Offline Dauntless

Re: DOUBLE-SPLICE?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »
If you're working with musk ox horn, caribou bone, rivets and plaited sinew then yes.

On a more relevant note: I think I saw images of someone trying exactly what your are describing. I really don't recall where or whether he was successful though.
Maybe gluing on a long "powerlam" of sorts would prevent the glue joint from failing.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

radius

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:45:27 pm »
a power lam, under hickory or bamboo

people often use the powerlam in r/d bows, but what about making a setback bow...?

splice the limb-billets in reflex to a thick handle billet, shape that into a comfortable setback, and then add a power lam under bamboo...hm...that would be a mega-bow! 

i think i wanna try that!

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:57:11 pm »
With a backing a power lam might very well be useless.  It might not be if the backing isn't thick enough on its own to keep the billets in.  There would be a mighty lever trying to separate those bow limbs.

It's going to be a tricky bow if you get those billets.  Might be something worthwhile too.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

radius

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:03:12 pm »
you never see a power lam unless it's under a backing...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:16:16 pm »
If the splices were kept in the non bending handle section I'm certain it would work. No reason for it not to... Why not give it a try?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

radius

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 11:53:27 am »
If the splices were kept in the non bending handle section I'm certain it would work. No reason for it not to... Why not give it a try?

that's the spirit, Ryan!  I'm gonna try it as soon as i get set up somewhere....

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »
The first bow I posted here on PA was done that way: bamboo backed prune with the handle spliced in and with ebony power lam. That bow actually won BOM back then.
If you do that make sure it does not bend to close to the handle!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:42:59 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...