Author Topic: finally got time to finish a bow  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Kent D.

finally got time to finish a bow
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:48:26 pm »
I have not had much time to work in my shop.  Ive been in the process of moving and all the fun that comes with that.  I did take a break inbetween moving episodes to put the finish on this bow and today I had just enough time to make a string and take some pics.  This bow is 67" ntn, 55lbs @ 28".  Bamboo backed, ipe, osage, ipe with white tail antler tips.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:53:17 am by burnie »

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: finally got time to finish a bow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:22:23 am »
Thats a good looking bow.. ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:47:08 am »
Bamboo, ipe, osage, ipe... cool combo! Looks really nice together. Your tiller looks excellent. What's the little sticky-outty bit on the handle? Is that part of the grip?

Yah, moving sucks, but just think how good your new shop is going to be!

Aosda

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:02:14 am »
Great looking bow.  The combination of wood is beautiful.  I like how you added the palm rest to the grip.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:04 am »
Thanks all.

Bamboo, ipe, osage, ipe... cool combo! Looks really nice together. Your tiller looks excellent. What's the little sticky-outty bit on the handle? Is that part of the grip?

Yah, moving sucks, but just think how good your new shop is going to be!

That sticky outty thing is a pistol grip.  The handle area is a little shy of 6".  I designed the bow to get quite a bit of working limb, so to make the handle thick enough, for my likeing, I add on a palm swell to create a pistol grip.  It is on for comfort and feel.  Has nothing to do with astetics.   I guess i can name this bow, "potbellied yellowjacket". ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:28:31 am »
Nice looking bow,love the colors. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:53:59 am »
i especially like the domino pattern or whatever it's called...that looks great...good tiller, too

radius

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:43 am »
could you please post a few pics of the belly?   i'd like to see the handle better, too, if i could...

how thick are your laminations?  do you have a power lam in there?  it's hard to tell...

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:28:13 pm »
You bet.  Im taking a break from moving, Ill take a pic or two for ya. ;)

Lams are different widths and tapper.  I went with a trilam design I developed and made my lams fit that design.  I made the first ipe lam thick and each lam out less than the other.  The large ipe lam I tappered .02 per inch and the osage .01 per inch and the belly lam .01 per inch.  Not sure the actual widths of each.  My shop is packed up and I have no way to get to my notes or calipers to measure them with.   Normally I could tell you, but I tailored this bow to the materials i had, which were limited.  That is why the lam thicknesses are not uniform.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:38:35 pm by burnie »

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 12:37:23 pm »
Here ya go.  And yes, I put a rather thick power lam on it.

radius

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 01:24:36 pm »
that's incredible!

so, did you run the belly lam of ipe all the way from tip to tip, and then add that heel rest afterwards?

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 01:55:17 pm »
that's incredible!

so, did you run the belly lam of ipe all the way from tip to tip, and then add that heel rest afterwards?

Kind of.  It is two lams that meet at the handle.  The Ipe I had was from a piece of decking that was only 35" long.  The osage was from an old fence post.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:00:09 pm by burnie »

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 03:51:35 pm »
Very nice, I like the handle lams, you guys with local access to IPE are lucky, I don't have any around town here, may have to find a source and try it. Are the concerns for breathing the dust and contact with the dust valid?
VB

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 04:55:24 pm »
I have to order my Ipe from the internet.   This bow was made with a scrap piece of wood that a man was going to throw out as trash from a deck he put in.  As for the dust.  I have no problem with it.  doesnt bother my skin and I have never used a mask while working with it.  Probably a dumb thing on my part, just never crossed my mind.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 07:06:32 pm »
Definately should be in BOM laminated cat.
Westminster, MD