Author Topic: Tillering Help  (Read 2781 times)

jaxenro

Tillering Help
« on: July 18, 2009, 08:36:51 am »
I have just started tillering my first bow. If I understand this is long string tillering (rela long in that the string I am using stretches)

What I thinking is the left limb is too straight and both need to bend more further out? also it takes about 40# just to get it to this amount so I should do some major thinning to get the draw weight down some? I was looking for about 50# at 28"

Bow is maple backed with oak

radius

Re: Tillering Help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:55:31 am »
right you are, the left limb is thicker.  I wonder about that stretchy string.  I think you need a string that does not stretch, to give you a consistent reading when you tiller.  If you are going for 50#, then your first task is to get it to pull 50# at 7 to 10 inches.  Then you can brace it with a real string, and that's where the tillering commences in full...

jaxenro

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:57:49 am »
Thanks - I am looking for a better long string - plus a place to get actual bowstrings for it

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:39:13 am »
The only place its bending is at the handle section, don't touch the middle 8" and start working the limbs out and get it floor tillered.
If you keep removing wood at the handle area your going to be real disappointed. What type of bow are you going for? D bow or rigid handle?
Then go to a long string, the long string should be tied tight between the nocks.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jaxenro

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:01:55 am »
D bow

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:43:30 am »
On a D bow you leave the handle stiff till final tillering, if you get it bending early it will most
likely bend to much causing hand shock. The handle should bend very slightly. Good luck eh
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

jaxenro

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 05:58:49 pm »
OK version 2 - I still have a lot of wood to remove to get it bending more and more evenly - just want to know if I am headin in the right direction - this is my first one

Top one is earlier - bottom one is later (obviously)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:05:47 pm »
Its still bending mostly in the handle area, scrape from 4 or 5 inches out from the handle on each side.
Remember patience is your best friend :)

Manistique, MI