Author Topic: flemish string problems  (Read 7474 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
flemish string problems
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:25:20 am »
the last few strings ive made have turned out bad and i cant for the life of me figure out why. instead of the 2 bundles forming one solid bundle, after its all done, they twist into 2 separate bundles. it doesnt affect the string at all, but it just looks bad. does anybody know what might be going on here?

im at work right now, but ill try to get some pics up tomorow to show ya'll better what im running into.

thanks in advance!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Easternarcher

Re: flemish string problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:41:06 am »
the last few strings ive made have turned out bad and i cant for the life of me figure out why. instead of the 2 bundles forming one solid bundle, after its all done, they twist into 2 separate bundles. it doesnt affect the string at all, but it just looks bad. does anybody know what might be going on here?

im at work right now, but ill try to get some pics up tomorow to show ya'll better what im running into.

thanks in advance!
Phil

MAybe twisting the string the wrong direction to adjust length??? Depnding on if your right or left-handed. I'm right handed and have to twist the string counter clockwise.

Offline faltenhemd

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:01:52 am »
maybe i know:
once you have completed the first "loop" (? the part of the string that hooks to the nock), you have to completely untwist both bundles. then twist the whole string in the same direction as you did with the two bundles.

i m shure, someone can explain it lots easier.

thomas
Swabian in Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:33:00 am »
Easternarcher, i dont think thats doing it, its all wound up before i twist it to tighten it.

ya know Thomas, that might be it. what you describe kinda makes sence for what is happening. ill make another string today, and see if it works out.

Thanks guys!

Phil

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:37:45 am »
The final step in finishing a flemish string prior to serving it, is the twisting. If you hold a string loop in each hand and then stretch your arm's away from your side and start twisting with each hand, you should be twisting away from you with one hand and toward you with the other. It will initially look like you're untwisting the center section of the string, but if made correctly you'll see you're tightening the braiding on each end below the loops and finally the center section of the string will tighten as well.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:54:54 am »
yup, got that part Greg, my problem is comming from when i do the second splice, and the 2 bundles twist up so bad that they dont form one string. thanks though!

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:33:36 pm »
Phil, are you putting any back twist or counter twist in the second loop? After taking out all the twist before starting the 2nd loop, take each bundle and put opposite twist in each one. For me, I count to 12 as I'm twisting , the I start my loop! Hope this helps, good shootin, Steve.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 01:58:25 pm »
I twist away from me and back towards me to make the loop. Put a tie on the first loop to keep it from unraveling. Twist the second the same way you twisted the first. Straighten out any excess twists in the body. Put the first loop over a nail. Remove the tie. Stretch the string. Twist both together counter clockwise. That should work provided you twisted the loops properly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 09:00:29 am »
ok, so the first thing i wasnt doing was taking the twist out of the 2 bundles before i did the second splice. so i did a string yesterday and i took the twists out, and it was much better, but still a little too twisted twards the beginning of the second splice. then i did another string and put a few back twists in the bundles before i did the second splice...and it was perfect! thanks guys!

George, when you say strech the string, are you talking about hanging weights from it, or just pulling on it? ive always just strung up the bow with the new string, and shot it a few times, then unstrung it twisted it up some to take up the strech, then re string, and repeat.

if you are hanging weights on it, how mauch weight should i do?

Thanks again guys!
Phil

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:37:26 pm »
I have the same problem.  Top Loop looks great, and looks great until you get to the second loop.  After thinking about it, I think the problem is you are now putting a twist on the bundles to of course get them to stay put.

I bet the one poster has it right when he says he pretwists the bundles before starting the second loop, so when you twist up the second, it all evens out.  I am just not sure how many pretwists to put in.
Westminster, MD

Offline faltenhemd

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:21:43 am »
I am just not sure how many pretwists to put in.

just count the twists when you untwist the first loop! that should be the number of the pretwists for the second

thomas
Swabian in Switzerland

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:00:22 pm »
Putting backtwist in the bundles or plys is needed in a 2 ply string to get it to the rounded, blended affect. This is why some do only 3-ply strings. They aren't any stronger, don't let anyone tell you this! And also I reccomend if the string does't come out right, take it a part and do over and keep notes of lengths and such. No need to waste material! Good shootin and twisting, Steve.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 04:07:31 pm »
I am just not sure how many pretwists to put in.

just count the twists when you untwist the first loop! that should be the number of the pretwists for the second

thomas

Usually when twisting the first loop, the excess is hanging and I usually untwist out the bundles while doing the top.    Guess I will have to play with it.
Westminster, MD

Offline faltenhemd

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 02:17:11 am »
Usually when twisting the first loop, the excess is hanging and I usually untwist out the bundles while doing the top.    Guess I will have to play with it.

try not to have the excess hanging and don't untwist until you have completed the first loop!
good luck!
Swabian in Switzerland

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 11:36:50 am »

try not to have the excess hanging and don't untwist until you have completed the first loop!
good luck!

Sounds good, but if I don't untwist it, won't I have problems with uneven bundles or a strand have slack?  Or are you saying, just don't untwist until done, count the amount of twists you took out, then straighten out and pretwist the opposite direction?
Westminster, MD