Author Topic: Staining/dying backing material  (Read 3358 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Staining/dying backing material
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:38:46 am »
After reading some posts about common carp skins not being pretty at bow backing, I started thinking about the idea of staining, dying or possibly painting backings.  My initial thoughts would be to stain the underside of deer rawhide in something similar to a snake's sking pattern.  Since the rawhide is mostly tranparent the stain should show through the hide moderately to lightly.  Has anyone tried this?
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline medicinewheel

Re: Staining/dying backing material
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:52:53 am »

Since you have to wet the rawhide for applying it's not a good idea to paint on it's backside before the gluing. The fleshside is not as good a paining ground as the hair side, also.
I've done several bows with paintings on a rawhide backing with both acrylic and India ink. see below.
Your plan could work as that: stain the bowback dark first, put on your rawhide, thin your India ink with water and it'll pretty much have the effect you seem to want!
Or:
Paint acryilic on the back of the bow, steelwool it and then put on the rawhide; but rawhide should be sanded very thin, like pergament (I used goat pergament on several bows; I believe it's the best choise since it is very fine, VERY strong and very even in thickness AND it's great painting/drawing/writing ground)

Hope this helps; I love painted bows!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:02:28 am »
I think carp looks pretty good,no stain on this one. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:05:00 am »
Pappy thats grass carp skin which is beautiful, but the common(big goldfish) carp doesn't have a good pattern :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:39 am »
Medicinewheel,  great job on those painted bows!  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:43:29 pm »
Thanks Greg! - yes I think grass carp looks fantastic, especially on Osage!
Frank from Germany...

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 03:00:55 am »
Medicinewheel, GREAT looking bows.  I'm not that artistically inclined, more artistically reclined.  haha  Thanks for the advice.  The rawhide I'll be using is from young does.  They are stiff rawhide sheets right now.  With the stretching and sanding I've done to them so far, I can practically read a newspaper through them.  I think another soaking, stretching and sanding will have them in good shape for backing.

I'm mostly looking to create a faint pattern.

Pappy, that's one nice bow.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:46:23 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:00:15 pm »
... With the stretching and sanding I've done to them so far, I can practically read a newspaper through them.  I think another soaking, stretching and sanding will have them in good shape for backing.

Yes, that's the stuff!

Frank from Germany...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 07:55:28 pm »
Frank, I love the art work. Especially the one in the first picture. My hands are to shaky to draw like that. Mine would look like a 2 year old did it....lol.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....