Author Topic: tapered ash arrows  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
tapered ash arrows
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:22:54 pm »
About 4 or so years ago, Jamie sent me a dozen ash shafts he doweled with his new shaft making toy. At my camp-o-rama last year Dick Bernier told me he would taper them for me...boy, did he wish he hadn't! ;D  Dick gave the tapered shafts to me at Hickory this year and I went to work making arrows with them.
   I used an electric drill motor and course and fine sandpaper to smooth out the shafts, cut them to 30", and added reinforced self nocks with osage splines, and point end tapers for glue on points. These shafts are stained with some old gray shaft stain I've had for years. The crown was done with red, watered down craft paint, as a wash, and the cresting with full strength black craft paint. I scraped the black nock paint to reveal the osage spine.
   Now for the brain fa*t...when I cut the osage splines for these arrows I didn't consider their grain from a strength standpoint. When glued up, the grain of the spines matched the shaft grain :o and after one of the nocks blew on release, I realized my mistake.  ::)  You will notice the arrow with the white fletch as being an inch shorter  ;D and now with a simple self nock but with sinew wrapping...as with all of the other arrows, now!  ::)
   The fletchings are mismatched as I used some old pre-shaped, store bought artificially barred, shield cut feathers. For the first 4, I made the cock feather a different color(gray barred) than the hen feathers(red barred). Then I went to all red artificial barred feathers and finally I went to brown artificially barred feathers. The arrow with the broken nock got all white feathers with it's self nock. The forward end of all fletchings is wrapped with artificial sinew.
   These arrows all spined out between 62# top 65#. With their tapers and extra length they are flying well from the 51# R/D  I made them for. The bow was given to me by David Knight at the Tenn Classic. The physical weight is a bit more than needed at 650gr to almost 700gr  but at less than 20 yards they hit where I'm looking.   Here they are....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:28:25 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: tapered ash arrows
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:47:47 pm »
Very cool Pat
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:21:54 pm »
Thanks, TJ.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

AKAPK

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:39:55 pm »
Looks good, were do ya get your ASH?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:25:28 pm »

Very nice set of arrows!
Frank from Germany...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:14:49 pm »
Nice set of arrows Pat.  I like those reinforced nocks.  The contrast looks great. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 10:23:39 pm »
Sweet Bullets you made there Pat.. ;)

Offline Staver

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:49:02 pm »
Nice lookin set of arrows Pat! 8)  Joe H

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:16:07 am »
Thanks everyone. I wish they were not quite as heavy as they are but they shoot fine. They shoot well out of my 56# selfbow too.
  Rick, the reinforced self nocks are easy to do. Just remember the grain. When you cut in for the spline you want to cut with the grain and your nock goes across the grain and the spline. Use flat grain splines(wood) to reinforce and not vertical grain like I did. On the last set I made I used rawhide splines and they work out great. No grain to worry about. Bone, horn or antler will work too.
  Phil, Jamie Leffler sent these to me about 4 years ago after a got a doweling tool. Allegheny Arrow Woods used to carry ash.

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:14:46 am »
Good work Pat, looks like you are arrowed up for a while. It is nice to have a new set and not to have to shoot odds and ends and what ever you have lying about.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 10:07:30 am »
sweet!  that ash should be some hard hitting arrows.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:05:30 am »
Sweet looking set,they should do the trick. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 12:18:28 pm »
Take those heavy arrows on a moose hunt and you'll be glad they're so heavy!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 02:23:38 pm »
You are the man Pat. Great looking bunch of arrows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 03:05:10 pm »
Nice!  You are an arteest.  :)

The grey and red stains look very good.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr