Information and Resources > Trading Post

Bows for New Traders

<< < (3/13) > >>

mullet:
  I'm not going to get in a pissing war on here. I chalked it up to a learning experiance, hence the line of "better communication". If I recall the emails, I had one chance ti figure out what was wrong before you said send the knife back. Next time I will also find out if the person I'm dealing with has any experiance with archery equiptment. Like I said, a learning experiance.

adb:
Anybody who knows anything about traditional archery, or chooses to find out, knows you have to set your brace height at an appropriate level. Not the bowmakers fault. If someone is interested, they'll spend the time to find out.

I think EVERYONE who joins this forum should enter all their info. It should be mandatory for trading on the trading post forum. If you're not willing to enter your name, etc., why not? I have not personally had any bad experiences with anyone on the trading post, but before I was willing to trade, I knew the person's info before I did.

Ohio John:
f only there was a way to determine the knowledge base of the person you were dealing with. A greenhorn archer would not know about  brace height unless they were diligent enough to study bow tuning and mechanics. I think that most here would not consider themselves greenhorns.... if you feel you are a greenhorn...study and learn and grow... I also don't feel like anyone here should be put in a position where they are held accountable for the lack of knowledge in others. Yes, we are here to help each other learn but the wealth of knowledge presented, shared, and made available here for general use is a broad enough body of knowledge that any who seek an answer find one quickly or posts a new topic to draw an answer to the desired question.  Knowledge is power, Sharing is power, Blaming solves nothing. If you don't know what reasonable brace height for a given bow is (or even what brace height is) you obviously need to do a basic search on tuning up your bow. I don't understand why anyone would think a custom handmade bow would come all ready to go at idea conditions after traveling through the mail, possibly at different temperatures and humidities.  Any bow you ever get needs set-up from the simplest selfbow to the most commercial and overpriced parallel limb compound. It isn't a gun.... and after all even tguns need sighted in, tuned, maintenanced,and cleaned. Nobody gets to take a car back because the dealer didn't tell them to put gas in the car or how to change the oil.

mullet:
  Very well said, OhioJohn, That's why I posted this thread, so everybody can add some input and maybe, educate and help everybody that is new to this.

M-P:
Good points all!    I really like the trading post feature and hope all the people I've traded with feel as positive about the trades as I do.  The better the communication before the trade is completed, the better things work out.   Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version