Author Topic: question on elb design  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Dave 55

question on elb design
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:36:32 pm »
Ive got a question on elb design,are the tips usually left stiff or do you tiller circle of compass,yew,66 ntn,looking 65 to 70# at 26,any help is appreciated.
Now is the good old days

Offline Kegan

Re: question on elb design
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »
That's a bit short, so I'd say get them bending a bit. However, too much and the bow won't shoopt as well for as long (I speak from experience ;D).

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:14:32 pm »
how tall are you?
that will help determine long bow length,rule of thumb as i know it is
a long bow is as tall or maybe and inch or two taller than the archer
so if your 62" tall thats a good length,otherwise i agree with Kegan,a little short and you might need to get them bending a little

i made an elb for myself,i am just shy of 70",so i made it 72"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:28:27 pm »
Thanks for the info guys  ;Im 66 inhes tall,and almost that big around .
Now is the good old days

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:18:55 pm »
Make me a touch over 71 inches with a long draw length.  The bow I am working on right now is a touch over 79 inches.  The length is getting pretty near the limits of practical on this one.   My goal is an old friend that sticks around for more than a few years and a sweet long draw with no or little stack.   I am not even looking for a heavy pull.  Just a bow strong enough to pretty much ignore me bending it for enough years to become a friend. 
Long seems to be the place to start, since as they get shorter, the skill and judgement of the builder seems to become more important.   I am low on the skill/ judgement factors and heavy on the newcomer factor!
That is where I started on the figuring how long thing.  I wrote down what I want out of a bow.  My want list pretty much designed my bow.   I think as a beginner, that is the most common sense approach I have read, on line or off.   

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:19:36 am »
Ahnlaashock that sounds like a real fine approach to me,this is the first elb Ive made and I went by what John Strunk wrote  in BB1 but I may very well wish I had left it longer.
Now is the good old days

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »
Like the backing attempt.  I am pretty sure I will goof a few things along the way and need to fix them.  Leaving it long just gives me another option!  Let's call it Newbie Insurance! 
It's all good!  I have been playing for about 30 hours so far and I have spent about 50$  That includes TBB1, silk for several more bows, and two bottles of glue!   Still on the steep part of the learning curve, but I can't do much of anything that cheap these days! 
The other thing is my draw.  I am one of those guys that is build square in the chest.  I am as thick as I am wide.   That pretty much dictates a longer draw length in my experience with other bows.  Since I was drawing a 30 inch practice shaft off my first attempt if I moved to a longbow type draw, I either have to have a long draw length or a bow with a wall that I can pull to and settle in at that same spot each time.   Might be a little braver with better bow wood, but this is a red oak board bow.   For handling, it would be nice if it was a little shorter! 
Anyway, have a very nice day and remember to pay it forward. 

nickf

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 09:48:52 am »
if you want 65-70#@ 26" 66" ntn is plenty lenght. Don't worry. I made a 115#@31", wich was only 72" ntn. that's almost twice the drawweight for the similar length(comparative). You'll be fine, but take care of the tiller.

Nick