Author Topic: Non slipping throwing hawks! Ideas?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Catahoula

Non slipping throwing hawks! Ideas?
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:47 pm »
Hi,

After wandering to the Tn and NC trad events and seeing throwing hawks...today I finally built my hawk target out of 4x6s and am ready to go.  My hawks are all on handles that tighten the head after wacking it down tight.  Any way to keep the hawk head tight on the handle?  Doesn't bother me but I would hate to have some youngster get whacked by the hawk sliding down the handle.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Non slipping throwing hawks! Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:32:29 pm »
Rand, with wood handles and a slip fit the fit can change with the humidity. You could soak them for a while in water before throwing.
   Got any pics of your target? ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:06:06 am »
If it wouldn't throw your balance off you could put a few wraps of sinew or maybe a thin piece of rawhide just under the head to act as a stop.  JMO.

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »
Pat,

Five 4x6 treated four feet long ea. with a 2X6 screwed into them top and bottom and a 2x6 frame which has it off the grown two feet.  So it is a good sturdy rascal...looks like the one that was dragged from Tn to NC.:-)  I looked at that bow you put into the art contest and Lordy what a beauty.  I am so jealous.  Just blew up my second bow that ipe/hickory I was working on at Tn.  So I am staying away from the laminated bows for the time being...had her bending so pretty then all of a sudden Kablooey!  If I had any money I would beg you to make me an osage snakey self bow with a copperhead skin backing...man you sure know how to build them!

Tavis...will give that a try.  Don't want a head to slip on a youngster and hurt them.

Rand

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:35:15 pm »
 I've got one hawk I was worried about. So I drilled a small hole into it and the wood and inserted a mall piece of whittled bamboo. Thats all that holds a Japanese sword together and it works on my hawk.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:00:09 am »
Rand, I'm sure we can work something out! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 05:19:24 pm »
Mullet,

That's a good idea...especially since I have some bamboo left from blowing up my boo/osage attempt!  Will try boo on one hawk and sinew on another and see what works best.  Thanks!

Pat,

Sounds good to me.:-)  50 @ 29!

I have been waiting for my annual rattlesnake in the garden or moc in the little fish pond or the copperhead in the leaves to be harvested for a skin.  Saw a pic of a young fellow who had arrowed his copperhead...wish I was that good...my big old mocs down here in the SC piney woods will charge you if you miss...being chased by one of them will get your cardio up real quick!!!

Rand

Offline smokeu

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 10:39:31 am »
Yea i saw a guy put a metal pin in his, but you run the risk of a cracked handle. Ive been itchen to build be some of those too.

Good Luck,

Mike

Longview, TEXAS

Offline Chad Bower

• ~Odins' wisdom ,Thors' strength , Freyas' love.~
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 02:11:13 am »
Where can a guy get a nice hawk...Ive only seen the 3 rivers ones..any ideas ?
~ 45,000 years ago the bow was invented. The bow is the history of mankind.~

Don't just exsist  , live , everyday to the fullest.

Chad "Wolf Among Dogs" Bower

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:06:43 pm »
H&B forge makes a good lifetime gauranteed hawk.

Here is my thrower, buddy made it out of steel horseshoes.

I have wrapped a rawhide strip around the base of the head, keeps it nice and tight and also protects the handle if your in the woods chopping and miss.
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline svaldrin

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 10:09:12 pm »
unless you want to go through a ton of handles then leave them to were they can still move or else you will break the handles. Every time that it is dislodged from the handle it is either not on tight enough or it would have broke with it moving that relives the pressure and prevents a break.
Independence, MO

brokenhand

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 06:02:33 pm »
    I place a decorative tack on two sides of the handle about a quarter inch below the head, this allows the head to move without breaking the handle, yet keeps the head from sliding down to your hand. It also makes it easy to take the handle off without unwrapping senew or leather. Hope this helps....Brokenhand....Aho.