Author Topic: Horn bows  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Timo

Horn bows
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:18:55 am »
 I've had the itch to build one of them for many years now, and just never done it. After reading the latest pa issue, the bug has hit me again.SO I guess I have to do it.

Anyone out there that has build a horn bow such as this,I would love to here your thoughts,successes,failures,and maybe some hints on getting some good buff horns (were to)for the project.

Offline Shaun

Re: Horn bows
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:35:49 am »
Timo, check with Wingnut, he had a decent WB horn source and John Sturdevant (sp) had a good source for African horn. I have found WB horn in shops along the Texas/Mexican border, but much of it has been "decorated" with scratch carving and shell inlay. Looking forward to your full draw pics.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:01:05 pm »
James Parker has built them in the past. He uses horn on some of his bows now too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »
 Found a few places that sell american buff horns. That is what I was wanting to use. ANyone with any outlets I would appreciate a pm about them.

Also I have some ballistic gel,(powder form) that i got from a bullet tester.Been saving it for some reason.He claimed that it is more refined than knox. Probly not as good as home cooked glue, but I figure it'll work. Anyone ever use it before?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:04:02 am »
Ballistics gel ? Is that all that stuff is is hide glue? I learned something new today.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:52:42 pm »
Ryano, that is what he told me.I took his word on it, If you ever noticed how hide glue is at a certain point in the drying process,it kinds of reminds one of ...well jello? ;D

Offline shikari

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:40:31 pm »
you could try the boneroom for gemsbok/waterbuffalo horn.also a place called chichestrine inc in buffalo NY that has wB horn fo sale.