Author Topic: Aspiring bowyer  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Calamitus

Aspiring bowyer
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:18:33 pm »
Hi all! I'm surrounded by acres of young trees and have been itching to find something to do with some of them. A couple of years ago I thought about making a bow for the first time, started looking at the process of making a turkish/mongolian horn bow, decided that that's a bit out of my league, and put it off for awhile. After seeing some of the beautiful work done with plain ol' wood here I want to start with something a little simpler, aiming for a piece of functional art. I have access to persimmon, oak, and hickory (maybe others I haven't discovered yet) in sizes up to 3-4 inches diameter. I think that with y'all's help and inspiration (yes I'm living in the South) I can make something that'll work. Now all I have to do is round up a couple of tools and and find a place to work. (and I still want to do a horn bow eventually  8) )

Offline Jesse

Re: Aspiring bowyer
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:07:10 pm »
Sounds like your ready for the challenge. That first arrow you shoot will be a rewarding experience. Take your time but dont be too afraid of failure either. With the help you can get here you'll be skipping years of trial and error. :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline smokeu

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:15:20 pm »
well keep us posted and show your pics!!

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 05:45:06 am »
Welcome,sounds like to me you are ready,just jump right in,you will learn a lot as you go,you can
read and ask questions[a good thing] but there is nothing I mean nothing like hands on.Keep us
posted of your progress.The main thing is don't put to much pressure on yourself just have fun. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:42:25 am »
Where abouts in the south to you live? Could be that there's someone near you that makes bows as well that could get you off to a good start. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Tombow

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:06:04 am »
Welcome Calamitus, You're in the right place. I'm new to bow breaking...er - building myself. Don't be upset if/when you screw up a nice stave, I've worked with wood for decades and have messed up more bows in the last few months. Sometimes it's just a flaw in the wood too. I'd love to see a persimmon bow!
Tom

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:22 am »
Welcome and get started asap. There's no time like the present. You could begin with a stave of 3-4 inches or saping of 2-3 inches. Let us know how you want to begin. Here's my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!