Author Topic: Tonkin cane  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Bullitt

Tonkin cane
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:00:57 pm »
Where to get it? Supplier or dealers you recommend. I've talk to some who prefer it over other canes,Why? Good shootin, Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Tonkin cane
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »
                                             benmeadows.com/search/bamboo/5632/

bamboosupply.net/listman/listings/l0015.html

jest add Da dubba u's to made da links work......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:04:56 pm »
 All you have to do is Google, Bamboo Supply in Lakeland, Fl. I sent you a PM. Hopefully they will take out an add in the magazine and we won't have to play this game. If you order from them, encourage them to place an add and tell them the Lakeland guy is pushing it. I'll send you a PM.  If you order them you are looking for 8mm-10mm, 4'long in bundles of 500.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:09:57 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 12:36:21 am »
Hey Bullitt,

If you want some good Tonkin cane that's been spined, straightened, and weight matched, send knightd a PM...he has some great tonkin cane shafts that are raw or finished (whichever you prefer).  I've seen his work and it is very high quality, plus he has a very fair price on his shafts.  He is a paid advertiser here, so check out his website at www.huntworthyproductions.com.  I've shot his Tonkin cane shafts and they fly perfectly, plus they are VERY tough and almost unbreakable.  You'll lose a lot more than you'll break. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:51:51 am »
Definetily check with Dave (knightd). His cane shafts are awesome. They are super strong and durable. I have put them through alot of abuse. We shot an ironman shoot and bounced them off trees, shot through trees, and never damaged them. Send him a PM and he will set you up with some good ones.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Badbill

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:05:08 am »
 See if you can get Cora Knight to make them for you! She does a better job, just don't tell David, He'll kill me! ;) ;D :o
p.s. Just kidding David. ;) O:)

Offline tumalt

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 02:27:03 am »
El Destructo: do you get the bundle of 500, 3 foot length, 3/8th inch diameter?  about what percentage of the shafts do you find usable out of the 500? 

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 07:26:01 am »
I have never bought a full bundle of it...but I went in half's on a Bundle with Eddie (Mullet) and so far I have been able to use every one I have pulled from it and straightened....this was a Bundle of 500-4 foot stakes....gives you more room to get the diameter and spine right.....some were really bent...but this Boo works really easy.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tumalt

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 01:43:36 pm »
thanks for the info, I'm going to have to make an order.  Not sure if I need 500 arrows, but I like bamboo stakes for the garden as well.  Thanks for the tip! 

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 02:58:48 pm »
Straighten them up....size them out ....and sell the excess on eBay....or trade them here on the Forum....there is always a way to get rid of the Overstock....or you can just Horde them like I do......... >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:46:33 am »
Went up Friday and picked up a bundle,I didn't think it looked like much till I cut it open.It'll take some time to sort through and grade but give me something (more) to do.Sraighted out a dozen last nite they do work nice.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline tumalt

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 03:08:28 am »
Which bundle do you guys recommend out of the 4 below?  I am wondering about the diameter...3/8, 7/16 or 1/2 inch?

4   8-10mm    3/8    500    $57.00
4      10-12mm    7/16    250    $42.50
4      12-14mm    1/2    250    $52.00

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 07:16:53 am »
 4' x 8-10 mm
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 07:17:27 am »
Get the 3/8 and use the small end. 1/2" tonkin would spine about 300#. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 09:28:08 am »
The ones I'm using are the 7/16ths X 3ft. If the supplier offered the 8-10mm I would go that route. They spine heavy, but shoot great. Not all are that big in diameter either. I have found that a good campfire and a few brews help the sorting process ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956