Author Topic: Timber Rattler skin vs. Diamond Back for backing.  (Read 2938 times)

Offline bigcountry

Timber Rattler skin vs. Diamond Back for backing.
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:19:31 am »
I got a nice set of timber rattler skins (Canebrake) for bow backing. When I recieved them, they are quite a bit more stiff and heavy than your typical diamondback or prairie rattler. Both are 35" long but both are very wide.  About 6" at thier widest point.

Is this normal for timber rattlers? Do they have thicker skin? Looks like they have tried to dry out with borax. I am going to wash off the borax and redry without any salt.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Timber Rattler skin vs. Diamond Back for backing.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:24:17 am »
Timber rattler skins are thicker than the western rattlers. Eastern D-back are even thicker. You will have to soak them before skinning your bow anyway so you can wash out the borax then and skin your bow at the same time. The western rattler skins are probably just dried without borax so they don't feel so thick and they actually are not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:47:32 am »
The thin skins will swell once they are rehydrated...especially if they were dried with Borax....I have noticed the Diamondback Snakes from out here are a little thinner skinned....and I am sure it has something to do with the Heat and the fact that they are coldblooded...so that they can shed and absorb heat at a better rate....anyways them Timber Rattlers will be great.... they are not too thick......just wash the Skins before you plan on backing the Bow...and let them soak till they soften up nice and pick the part of the Hide...since they are so wide....cut them in half and lay them out neatly to get the pattern correct on the Back of Your Bow....and glue em down....there you have it!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:47:41 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:29:30 am »
If they are 6" wide rip them down the middle and use one skin to back the whole bow. ;)  Something else I do with heavy canbrakes is :On a dry skin give them a light run on the belt sander,this will even out any bad spots that might be left from the skinning/drying process, and thin them a lil as to aid in the skins laying down better.

just my 2cent. ;D

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 02:18:10 pm »
Thanks guys, I am looking over the skin, I I think I can do one bow with one skin but its going to be close. So Close, I am not sure I want to take a chance. 

Reason I was going to clean off the borax was to make sure the guy from Ark took off all the flesh, as I was surprised they are so stiff.  But good to know thats fairly normal. 

Awesome looking skins. Can't way to put them on.
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 02:26:59 pm »
If the Skins are not quite long enough for the Whole Limb...you can hide this under the Hand Grip...also it is better to not have the Skin where the String will be sliding on it when you String and Unstring the Bow....just a thought....and also when these skins are Hydrated...they will be quite a bit wider and longer...use this to your advantage
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 03:52:33 pm »
If the Skins are not quite long enough for the Whole Limb...you can hide this under the Hand Grip...also it is better to not have the Skin where the String will be sliding on it when you String and Unstring the Bow....just a thought....and also when these skins are Hydrated...they will be quite a bit wider and longer...use this to your advantage

PLenty long, just not sure if wide enough.  I know dried they are barely long enough.  So when I soak them, they will be be able to stretch wider?  All I need to ensure one skin for both limbs is 1/4" near the handle
Westminster, MD

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 03:56:54 pm »
they should be plenty wide enough for splitting...will gain about 1/2" in width when hydrated
2024...We Will Overcome