Author Topic: Heat treating black walnut  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Jmilbrandt

Heat treating black walnut
« on: June 02, 2009, 07:13:20 pm »
I have a black walnut bow I was just finishing up and it has taken about 1/2 inch of set normally I would just heat treat it and give it a little reflex. I'm a little worried though with bw because I have heard its a little tension weak and I don't want to overpower the back. I probably shouldn't even worry about it at only 1/2 inch but I hate set. ::)
SW Utah

Offline smokeu

Re: Heat treating black walnut
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 11:26:20 am »
You elitest... probably spelled that wrong!! Boy id be happy with and inch or so!! Just kidding, best of luck though. Maybe you could test a small piece of BW to see how it reacts to the treatment under tension/compression??

How bout some pictures?? :)
Longview, TEXAS

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 12:24:53 pm »
most everything i've read about walnut says that it takes a lot of set. i've only made a few laminate bows using it as belly wood, but my experience has reinforced what i've read so far.

1/2" of set is kinda small on the spectrum , though, isn't it?

bearbowman

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:53:05 pm »
I'd leave it. I just broke an all sapwood BW with heat.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:09:15 pm »
I know 1/2 inch isn't alot at all and that's what I keep telling myself. But then I look down it and all these thoughts of what I could do to fix it start running through my mind ::).  But I think I will try to force myself to leave it I don't want to break it.
SW Utah

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 08:38:10 pm »
Can you flip the tips a little and get that 1/2" back?  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline anglobow

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:41:54 pm »
I would not heat treat or try to reflex a bow that has already been worked enough to take set. It's a good way to open up perpendicular checks on the belly.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »
A bow need not be straight, to be a success.   If 1/2" is all you have "fixing" it, sounds like a good way to "break" it. ;)
 I'd be happy if 1/2" is all I got and just shoot it.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:03:46 am by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 11:16:16 pm »
A little bit of set is actually a good thing (anything <2" is fine).

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:41:36 am »
I know that much set isn't bad and I will just leave it. My problem is so many of my bows have reflex that I feel like I haven't made it to the best of my ability. But i learned my lesson last time I tried to "fix" my hackberry recurve with a hair of set and broke it.  >:(
SW Utah

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:06:21 am »
i have an all sapwood bw bow that took about 2 1/2 inches set. since i have two knots in on limb, i had no intention of making any more alterations to the wood, so i added linen fabric to the back. to my suprise, it seemes to have gained poundage, in addition to being made less likely to break. at 1/2" set, i'd consider fabric backing it. otherwise i'd call it good and leave it!!

Offline Colt45

• =]
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:22:55 pm »
hey Justin! Remember last time you had to make me heat treat half of that mountain maple bow... you sure you could do that all on your own? haha  ;D just kidding justin... you should just leave it. No point in wrecking a fine bow! If you can live with that  ::)  :D just try to make it more like my erc bow haha no set. ;)
your favorite brother
colton
The bow's in there, you just have to find it, and that is Boetry.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »
i heat treat or temper almost right before final tiller.  never after i have shot it about 20 times.  i usually plan on tempering hickory, ash, hackberry as a general rule.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 12:59:04 pm »
I say leave it as  that bow is doing just fine. :)

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 05:36:16 pm »
I decided not to mess with it. Turned out ok sure is nice looking wood. In the end I ended up with one limb dead straight and the other taking about an inch of string follow. Kind of disappointing :P. Oh well guess i'll just make another one ;D.
SW Utah