Author Topic: New project  (Read 31837 times)

radius

Re: New project
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 06:23:57 am »
cool centerline jig

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44:24 am »
That's exactly what I was thinking radius.....Never seen that simple tool before.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 09:55:08 am »
It is cool and I wished I remembered who gave it to me.It may have been Pat,it has some initials on it .If anyone sees this and knows please let me know,I would like to thank them. :) I don't know for
sure but they may have just lost it at the Classic and it wound up in my box. :) :) I know it works really good on a snaky stave it you have it roughed out. I also used it on one limb of the take down I have been working on to match the smaller/narrower  limb.It only had a little snake but worked great. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2009, 06:04:18 am »
Hope to get back on these this weekend,Greg has been working on the tips on his this week,maybe BigA and myself can make some head way.We have a bunch of Hickory stave's to get ready for the Scouts in a couple of weeks but hope I can fit in a little time to at least get it braced.
Hunting season is coming quick and I sure would like to have a new bow.Don't have many to
shoot. ;) ;D I'll keep you updated,O ya the little tool came from PatB,don't remember weather he left it on purpose or gave it to me but either way it is pretty cool and a great Idea. :)
       Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2009, 09:26:48 am »
I really enjoy seeing pics of how others make bows.

Man, that's some nice wood............
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 09:43:49 am »
Gonna go get another coffee. Enjoyed the show. Thanks, Pappy. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 05:52:33 am »
Well we are making a little head way.Greg got snake skins on his this weekend and also some tips.I got mine out to 50@20 inches so I am getting there,BigA is still lagging behind but I expect him to get on the ball soon. I am leaving this week to Wyoming to drive beau and Christina back to TN. ;D
So I will be busy and doubt I get much more done on mine for a couple of weeks.Maybe BigA
will make some headway while I am gone.Greg's is almost finished,That boy is on the ball. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »
Well ok. Everybody is having fun. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:13 pm »
you need to stop this crap cause i cant be there and its hard on me. i think i need some thearapy. or another beer. looks like fun.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 08:46:41 am »
Sorry woodstick...once you're addicted like we are, you just can't stop!  ;) Oh yeah, it is fun!  ;D Might give Dr. Keenan a pm... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 09:08:55 am »
I think BigA got his floor tillered and on the form this weekend,I was out of town ,maybe GregB took some pictures and will post soon.Mine has been in the hot box and I plan on finishing tillering this coming weekend,now I need to come up with some skins,Gregs is Timber rattler, BigA's is going to be Prairie.   :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline xin

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 09:33:13 am »
Pappy, Nobody makes a "snakey" bow like you Tennessee boys.  Beautiful work.  Looking forward to more!!!!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 01:47:45 pm »
Here are a few pictures of BigA getting his snake bow to floor tiller. He then placed it on the form to remove any propellar it might have in the limbs and add some reflex. It came off the form looking good and with about 1-1/2" of reflex.  I finished a grip for mine this weekend and have it all laced up for when I get the bow sealed. I'm giving it a couple of weeks drying time over the air conditioner from putting the skins on before I start sealing it. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

radius

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2009, 02:29:16 am »
good steampipe too...i need something like that to help me deal with this weird-shaped yew...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 08:12:47 am »
I started sealing the skins/back of my snake bow last night. Plan to do the initial sealing of the skins with tru-oil until through lite sanding between coats I have a smooth texture, then going back with poly clear satin over the entire bow. I've done this several times in the past with good results as long as you scuff up the tru-oil a little for the poly to adhere too.

Pappy, BigA, and I need to come up with some names for our bows...I'm getting near that stage of the process. ;)
Greg