Author Topic: Planed bamboo  (Read 18030 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Planed bamboo
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 11:58:37 pm »
i am not attacking anyone
i am just stating that what Jim says about it being able to make a bow is true.
they act like just because it isn't a perfect piece that it wouldn't make a shootable bow.
it just isn't aesthetically pleasing
it does what he says it will do. it makes a shootable bow.
i am not saying that what he charges for the product is right.that is an individual consumers decision to make.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 12:12:45 am »
now like i said i too have gotten this kind of product from him. i also got the same response,i didnt take it as being sarcastic.
i took it as maybe he knows his products.i didnt go around acting like someone pissed in my oat meal either

Maybe I did not understand this statement then!  Maybe you can explain how it is not an attack on a poster in this forum. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 12:36:05 am »
i am not attacking anyone
i am just stating that what Jim says about it being able to make a bow is true.
they act like just because it isn't a perfect piece that it wouldn't make a shootable bow.
it just isn't aesthetically pleasing
it does what he says it will do. it makes a shootable bow.
i am not saying that what he charges for the product is right.that is an individual consumers decision to make.
You are right, it is a consumers decision to make. And when the consumer gets inferior product he should be able to decide to refuse it, not be told he is dumb because he thinks it is inferior.  You don't exactly get to see the product before it is shipped. Bamboo is a very strong backing and can overpower most woods and cause fatal set and fretting in a bow.  You might get a bow out of the product, but a much better bow could be made if good material was supplied.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 07:17:41 am »
Once burned twice shy eh. Next time you need boo backing or other stuff take a look at these fine advertisers and contributors on the forum

James Parker(robustus) and David Knights company  http://www.huntworthyproductions.com/

and

Richard Saffold at RICHARDSBOWYERY.COM

Both are paid advertisers and these guys are upstanding folk that will back their product and answers any question you have :)
Ask around I don't think you will find any complaints about these folk :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 10:40:11 am »
now like i said i too have gotten this kind of product from him. i also got the same response,i didnt take it as being sarcastic.
i took it as maybe he knows his products.i didnt go around acting like someone pissed in my oat meal either

Maybe I did not understand this statement then!  Maybe you can explain how it is not an attack on a poster in this forum. 

maybe you can point out in any of my post in this topic where i ATTACKED a fellow poster on the forum.
all i have done is speak from personal experience.

yes i realize Jim doesnt want to take it back and make his customer happy.as a business man that his decision.
if i ran his business,i would make the customer happy.however like i said i have been there too.i just decided that i wasnt going to let what i paid hard earned cash for,
go to waste. I MADE A BOW FROM IT AND HE CAN TOO. it may not be the same bow he had dreamed about,but it will still be a shootable bow.
he can like he said he wants too,sell the product to some one else.then that person can be unhappy with him for selling inferior products as he is with Jim.
i wont buy it from him,cause i have plenty of staves as of now to keep me busy for awhile.
however if he just wants to plain get rid of it,fine i would be happy to take it and make a bow from it.

now please show me where i attacked a fellow poster ,if you are refering to my line about going around acting like someone pissed in my oatmeal.
well if he got that response from jim,instaed of just whining and bitching about it,knowing that it cant be returned,why not just try and make a bow from it
instead of just whining and complaining about it

normally at this point i would type in my usual here,not this time
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 11:49:33 am »
Never mind dude!  If you don't get it, then it isn't my job to explain it.
To the OP.  The way such things get fixed is by voting with yoiur wallet.  A great many of the people here will do exactly that.  The only other good suggestion I have heard so far is to ask the guys that want to make a bow of the stuff you were sent if they wish to give you your money back.   

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 10:15:18 pm »
 Tim, that last responce is like saying you bought a tent from Walmart. And when you set it up it had the wrong poles in the box and they told you how to whittle a stick instead and it would work.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 10:55:33 pm »
i should preface this by saying that i'm stubborn & cheap... ;)

i was concerned about this kind of thing when i started making bows. after seeing some poor examples of mail order staves & backings online, i just bit the bullet & got a table saw instead ($200 hitachi). seeing this thread (and the 20 or so backing strips in the garage ranging from pristine to kindling) makes me glad i did what i did. i pay roughly $30 for a 1 15/16" x 8" x 72" flat sawn hickory board & convert it into a pile of quarter sawn backing strips. it allows me to be fearless in my experiments (i only have around $1.50 into each backing strip!). i'd have a hard time charging the prices i see on alot of websites... :-[

then i saw some of Robustus's bows- he's not human. his work amazes me. Richard Saffold is another one of those guys who makes me think "i'll never be able to make a bow look & shoot that great!"  . stick with the guys who put their bows & materials out there for all of us to see. i don't know if you've noticed, but these two post alot of encouragement & advice online for free. i can't say the same for most of the mail order companies that i see out there.

i've been hitting quite a few archery websites now for the last year and have heard some bad things about alot of folks who deal online. i haven't heard anything but great about these guys.

i don't know much about much, but i try to pay attention,
Rob

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 12:11:33 am »
Once burned twice shy eh. Next time you need boo backing or other stuff take a look at these fine advertisers and contributors on the forum

James Parker(robustus) and David Knights company  http://www.huntworthyproductions.com/

and

Richard Saffold at RICHARDSBOWYERY.COM

Both are paid advertisers and these guys are upstanding folk that will back their product and answers any question you have :)
Ask around I don't think you will find any complaints about these folk :)

I have to second this.  Richard has been nothing short of awesome to do business with, and I definately plan to do business with David in the future. 

More good folks on here to do business with then not. 
Westminster, MD

Rich Saffold

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 01:23:44 am »
Thanks guys, and I believe like any business providing the best customer service and advice is paramount.  I know James, David and Marc all go out of their way to have their customers succeed since out work is more our of pride than anything else..To get rich doing this you would have to work so hard you wouldn't have time to breath, and its the enjoyment of responses like these here which drive us more than anything else..

It's all about having fun..more than we should  ;)

Rich

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 11:58:09 am »
I have always gone to the extreme to please a customer, no questions asked. On the other hand I know of one bowyer who is so unreliable people have gradually distanced themselves from him. At one time, no one in the country made and sold more bows than he did. If he had maintained a stellar reputation he might have been very wealthy from the bow business he ran, he was that successful. Failing to stand behind his products, taking money but never shipping bows, sending what ever he had on hand instead of what a customer ordered and flat out lying to customers were his short comings.

The person mentioned at the start of this thread probably lost 100 customers by being difficult to deal with. Had he sent good materials, had the poster brag on line about their quality and what a joy it was to deal with this supplier, he probably would have gained at least 100 customers.

Some vendors just don't get it, what you do REALLY does come back to you.

Offline adb

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:23 pm »
Some pics for comparison. This is a BBI from Jim. The bamboo backing varies in thickness from 1/16" to 1/2". No consideration to node placement. I questioned his quality, and was told I was an idiot. This stave did NOT make a bow. I could not tiller it out, with such huge variation in backing thickness.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:45:14 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2009, 12:08:57 pm »
Here is a BBO from another supplier. I don't know about you guys, but I know which glue up I'd rather tiller.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 02:11:52 pm »
Some pics for comparison. This is a BBI from Jim. The bamboo backing varies in thickness from 1/16" to 1/2". No consideration to node placement. I questioned his quality, and was told I was an idiot. This stave did NOT make a bow. I could not tiller it out even with such huge variation in backing thickness.

My first try at this came to a (way) better result (using just a little belt sander)! Trying to tiller this blank will be nothing but a learning experience, I'd say.

Would anyone put on some 1/16" of sinew here and some 1/2" there and try to even it out by making the wood thicker here and thinner there??  - I believe good bamboo will torture your wood even more, may it be Osage or Ipé!

The comparison blank looks like you tiller that between evening news and bedtime and shoot it in next morning.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:16:09 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 02:25:37 pm »
Holy cow, thats bad adb.  I am a newbie and my boo looks much better. 

I found a bench sander on craiglist fo 30 dollars.  And its paid for itself.  Well worth it not to deal with that.   
Westminster, MD