Author Topic: bamboo backed hickory?  (Read 2447 times)

radius

bamboo backed hickory?
« on: May 29, 2009, 05:39:22 pm »
anybody try this?

i've been away for awhile, but the weather is great and it makes me think of shooting...

radius

Offline Kegan

Re: bamboo backed hickory?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 05:49:13 pm »
I personally haven't... yet. Until trapping became popular, hickory was one of th few given whitewoods that people agreed worked well with a boo back.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07:37 pm »
well i have made a few boo/hick bows
in my experience,as long as its not a reflex deflex type,then its fine.
r/d  the tiller(atleast for me) has to be perfect to avoid fine cracks across the belly,i just cant seem to get the tiller on them damn types of bows
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Far East Archer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:16:08 pm »
I have try this before.

It work good indeed, just, I heat treat hickory into reflex after I pre-shape it, holds reflex better and make better bow, I think.
Last bow is flat limb bow, 62" long and 11/4" wide, no set. I think it is 46#@26", limb thickness only 1/4" thick from middle of limb.

Also, it is good idea to make bamboo thinner in working area, can be thicker at tips to make less hickory. Trapping I did do, but I think little more is harder when limb is thin like that.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 02:54:03 pm »
I've done several bamboo backed hickory bows. One was 80#@29". I don't particularily like hickory as a belly wood, it sucks in compression. It's much better as a backing. But, the bamboo is up to the task with a hickory belly.