Author Topic: questions on Laminating, reflexing and backing  (Read 1427 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

questions on Laminating, reflexing and backing
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:55:48 pm »
I am thinking about starting a new project...my first laminated bow either reflex/deflex or recurving the tips...I need some advice...any tips or techniques would be greatly appreciated!  Im thinking of a 58 inch reflexed "D" bow out of either Maple or ash boards laminated together (the boards being lest than a half in thick) with an osage insert for the handle area...I possibly want to put some bamboo backings on it but im not really sure how to go about doing all this....thanks in advance for the advice...
GBR!

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: questions on Laminating, reflexing and backing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 03:01:58 pm »
Ok well here is my idea, the orange being the osage insert and the grey being the maple or ash boards.  I would want more reflex than the picture shows but im not too good with the paint application

[attachment deleted by admin]
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 03:34:16 pm »
You would be better served if you used the osage for the belly and the ash for the core. Flat grain maple will work for the back. There are probably better options for the back. The only board wood I would use for a backing would be hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 03:46:17 pm »
I wish I had more osage...all I have is an 8 inch section i cut off my last stave for from my other bow...I was just gonna use it for maybe the handle area and make some tips out of it
GBR!