Author Topic: Bow Wood!  (Read 1669 times)

Offline BigOak

Bow Wood!
« on: July 03, 2009, 06:55:50 pm »
I talked to my Dad last night as he is out at our farm in MO and found out we have a number of trees on the property that fell over this last winter in the storms.  Some of them are still producing leaves.  Apparently there is an Elm tree about 16" in diameter and at least 12' good straight feet of trunk before branches start.  Another is some form of cherry, don't know if this will make a good self bow but it might make good lams or lumber, it is about a foot in diameter and has some pretty good trunk length to it.  Then there are to many ERC's for him to bother counting. 

I think I am going to be busy in my last month as a civilian.

Any tips on how to deal with them would be appreciated.

BDA

radius

Re: Bow Wood!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:14:41 pm »
dude, sounds like a goldmine!

well, i'll chime in first, but everyone will say the same, pretty much.

Don't leave the whitewoods down, if you can help it.  Buck 'em into 6 foot lengths, give or take, and split 'em into quarters at least.  Store the wood in a dark-ish, well-ventilated place.  If you can ensure that air flows over them, the splits will dry faster than in a still place. 

People say to seal the ends with paint or glue or wax or spray-on varnish...this ensures that all moisture leaves through the belly-side of the stave, and any checking (cracks) will occur in the wood you will end up carving off anyway.

Keep me in the loop.  If your elm is any good, i'll happily trade you a couple of yew staves for a couple elm staves.  I just did all this the other day, myself, and my room (apartment dweller) is FILLED with yew staves!

take it easy,

and get a sweat on...

Offline BigOak

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:23:58 pm »
I'll keep you in the loop.  As it stands right now I'm set to enlist next week unless they will not give me the occupation I want.  It shouldn't be hard for them to get me MP or MI though.  The three jobs I really want they are in need of from the research I have done.

Anyways I'll probably get out there during the second full week in Aug.  Then I have no idea where I will store them.  I'm also super game for a couple yew staves. I've always wanted a war bow.

Catch Ya Later

radius

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:46:48 am »
if you've got a place to build it, you could make a simple and cheap drying shelter...four posts and a shed-style roof, with racks inside...no problem, and not much money...

Tombow

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »
BigOak....Thank you for serving our country. You may have some hard times ahead but when you get older...you won't regret it!
Tom...USN '69-'73