Author Topic: Price on Yew  (Read 9411 times)

Offline bigcountry

Price on Yew
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:24:58 pm »
Can someone explain to me why yew fetches so much money?  I have made one yew bow, (broke), and wouldn't mind to tackle another but can't justify paying 150 for a stave.  I like osage much better.
Westminster, MD

Offline sailordad

Re: Price on Yew
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 02:58:23 pm »
supply and demand,very little supply of good yew wood,yet a fairly high demand from people like us
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:54:31 pm »
Just like gasoline  ::)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:05:23 pm »
The bark/cambium is used as a cancer drug called taxol. I've read where that has also contributed to it's lack of supply(slow growth rate too)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 04:08:44 pm »
I want to tackle a yew bow again sometime, but I love osage better.   Guess thats good for me.
Westminster, MD

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:16:40 pm »
According to Craig Ratzat, a fine flintknapper and stone dealer, the government no longer restricts cutting of yew wood because they can now make the cancer drug synthetically.  He was a timber man in Oregon for many years during the "yew crisis."  Huge piles of logs were cut, debarked, and left to rot.  Typical government.  Now, though, you should begin to see more of it available.  Those who have old staves, though, are still commanding top dollar.  I paid $150 to Craig for a leven-inch log that I got eight staves out of.  I feel very fortunate.  It is great wood.  I had no idea that it could be so springy and yet soft.  Its cast is extremely smooth, and it works very easily.

Dan Spier

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:47:49 pm »
it sounds to me like it has stayed on topic,the topic was "price on yew"
that is still what we are discussing.  economics

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:29:25 pm »
Resisting the bait? Who's the one trying to bait Mr.tumalt ?  Keep it civil guys. I see nothing wrong with whats been posted so far.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:39:04 pm »
I'm not involved in this thread just reading, but nothing I read was political. If your discussing the price of Yew it involves economics. I found it interesting and very informative. Not offensive.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

nickf

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:56:13 pm »
the highest quality yew used to come from the italy, spain, or portugal. Yew's almost extinct in the latter two, so we're now restricted to italian yew. Even in italy, quality yew is very rare, and it's a protected species. The few Yew logs, with a decent rpi and straightness, are in high demand. Thus an escalating price.

Since yew is so poisonous, it's almost driven to extinction by the farmers. Funny to see how we humans both hate yew and love yew. What's less funny is that both extremes eventually lead to extinction.

Tumalt, I hope you don't find any political stuff in this very reply. However I'm sure you can find it if you dig far enough. Please don't be so overly (political) correct, or just, don't reveal you are.

Nick

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:03:38 pm »
Who wants to argue politics? Drop me a PM ifin ya want to and I will gladly oblige ya eh >:D

I would love to try Yew but the price has kept me away :o Guess I'm just cheap ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:13:39 pm »
Dana, if your like me it aint cheap. its frugal(makes cheap sound better) ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 06:40:04 pm »
 tumalt, I see you've only made two post and emailed me once. I don't see anything political about this discussion. If the reason Yew was hard to get and exspensive because of Government restrictions, then it seems to me the information is informative and on topic. And I saw what sailordad wrote and deleted.

If you want a good debate on politics or most anything else offensive or that will pi$$ you off, PM DanaM.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:43:22 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sonny

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:24 pm »
looks like he/she should have used the name "tumult" instead.........
look it up on dictionary.com  ;)
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Dano

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:43 pm »
Sorry I should have never mentioned gasoline ::)

Seriously tho, I have made a few yew bows and do like it for it's workability and cast, but unless you can get a good deal on the stuff, it's just too high.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada