Author Topic: Is this good for points?  (Read 4037 times)

Aosda

Is this good for points?
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:19:05 pm »
I have this rock in my yard.  I believe it's some type of slate or shale.  Would it be suitable for making points out of?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Is this good for points?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:50:57 am »
Looks like it would work in a pinch. I was gonna say you'd probably have to grind - doesn't look knappable.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:57:06 am »
I`m kinda new to the knapping area, but I`m pretty sure that you can use shale like that for a ground point, but I`d expect it to snap if used on anything harder than a hay bale or flesh, it`s brittle & won`t take the abuse of  substantial impact like stump shooting. I`ve made some ground points for show & using on wallhanger arras w/ some beads & feathers danglin` off`n `em.
  You might also give a thought to making the bases a little thinner so that they are easier to haft.
   Lobo
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Aosda

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:02:59 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I figured they would be one shot points.  I ground that point out in about half hour on a nice granite block I have.  Seeing as I don't have any shafts(haven't attempted that yet, don't know how) I figured I'd leave the point a little on the larger size to be taken down later.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:12:01 pm »
The natives, up here in the NW and Alaska, used a lot of slate for both arrowheads and knives. They ground them out just like you did.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:53:00 pm »
 the Japanese also used slate for points. It's not a one shot wonder. I've made ground Ulu's out of it and some points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline redwasp

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:09:53 pm »
search "phillips quarry" in sussex county the material there is highly lustrous and glassy (Harmonyvale member chert) and cecil black in Newark Jasper, also search Limonite AKA Bog Iron in south Jersey cumberland Co. also you might want to search Normanskill chert, Onondaga, and Esopus. I have that in my yard too doest knap I know that for sure come of in layers. In our area we have alot of black cherts. However finding quality is the hard part. If your interested I'll definately go with you I am all about free rock in our area.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:16:21 pm by redwasp »
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Aosda

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:06:11 am »
Sounds like fun Redwasp.  I don't know anything about knapping, it'd be fun to learn.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:42 pm »
redwasp i have a guy who is going to take me to a great source for normanskill this year. wont be for another month or so. if it pans out ill let ya know .
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline redwasp

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:59 pm »
please do, I would love to have some Jamie thanks in advance.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:47:28 am »
Good quality slate (like the type used for roofing) is good for points and can be processed easily.  Treat it like bone.  Keep hunting points small and serrate the edges.  You can grind a flute into the base for hafting.

I used slate for all my arrowheads when I was a kid....it was the only thing I had available in NH where I grew up.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr