Author Topic: here is my feeble attempt at first character bow  (Read 5157 times)

Offline redwasp

here is my feeble attempt at first character bow
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:01:29 pm »
its Hickory 55" ntn 65#s at 26" draw. I know its not perfect but it didn't break so I am pleased to show you the bow that surely could've been turned into a mastepiece by some of you more expierienced bowyers took about 1.5" of set but oh well.
If one man can do it, another man can do it. Richard......Northeastern PA.

Aosda

Re: here is my feeble attempt at first character bow
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:49:48 pm »
Not so feeble I think.  The hickory probably picked up moisture with the weather we've been having, probably helping with the set.

Tavis

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:50:50 pm »
shoot!!  looks to me like you did a fine job.  i have recently done my share of short character bows.  i know how tough they can be.  l love snakey bows and will not turn down the opportunity to wittle on one.  Great Job!!

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:56:47 pm »
asoda is right.  maybe you should consider tempering the belly before you get too many shots out of it. if you do temper clamp it down straight while it cools off.

PeteDavis

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:12:39 am »
I Like that bow.

PD

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:47:05 am »
Looks pretty nice to me!! The only thing that I can see that could use some work....is the Top Mid Limb could bend some more...looks too stiff to me...making it bend too much at the Fade...gotta love them Snakey Bows though!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline redwasp

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:29:38 am »
thanks everyone! I'll get better I promise... ::). I havent caught any snakes yet but still looking :'(. I found it easier than I thought it would be to follow the grain ( thanks to the people and posts on here). still learning but I learned alot from this one. I should have made it longer but I lack the experience in forcing the wood to take the shape I want so I cut the stave where the tips intersect with the handle and this is the result. Next time I will try to heat the wood to shape so I can get the extra length. on to other projects. I aquired a bow from twisted limbs that I shoot all the time (sweet bow by the way Ryan), and have  not come close to tillering as good as he. b ut am getting better now on to a maple sapling and HIckory backed Ipe.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:36:57 am »
Good advice here for a really nice bow. We'll look at it again next week for BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:24:46 pm »
Nice job, don't sell yourself short.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Aosda

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 02:33:46 pm »
Don't ya just hate it when the smoke gets in your eye while shooting  ;D

Offline mox1968

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 04:35:22 pm »
looks good to me!!

Offline redwasp

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »
Must have been the Pottsville lager didnt even realize I had a cig.  I am going to York county PA this weekend to see another member of this forum. we are trading some staves and I am lettting him borrow some dvds on flintknapping. Anyone know where there is some Mt. Holy agate, or Ordocian.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »
Great looking bow,wouldnt call it feeble tho,appreciate the workmanship.
Now is the good old days

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 01:06:41 am »
I'd say it turned out great for only being 55" and only taking 1.5" set @ 65#. I go with El D though, touch up that top limb, mid to outer and she'll be in a lot better shape.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:49:58 am »
 very nice,i like snaky and D style bows, i agree w/ tiller correction. myself, i try not to heat bend unless otherwise necessary. by choosing to cut the stave were tips intersected the handle you were able choose the style of bow to be made. Well Done !

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club