Author Topic: Bamboo expansion/Contraction  (Read 1514 times)

Offline bigcountry

Bamboo expansion/Contraction
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:08:33 am »
I have been working on an IPE/Boo bow for sometime.  I have had some downtime with it lately as I am going to back it as I took the nodes down too much.  So the bow hasn't been braced or pulled for 2 weeks.

But other than that, I notice it somtimes feels rough around the glue lines.  It didn't two weeks ago.  I was watching dean torgues video on boo backed osage and he said you have to keep boo dead dry because it sucks up moisture. 

This roughness happens on a weekend like this one where it its 85% humidity outside and raining.  I usually sand it off down to 1500gr sandpaper.  So it appears the boo is contracting or expanding.  This is the second time I have felt it, and same story, humid day.  I know its moisture, because I took it overnight and put it in my closet and no more roughness.

So this brings up my question.  What should one do about this?  I started the bow in Feb when it was very dry like 20% or less in my house.  Should I have sealed the bamboo after removing the rinds?  Or sealed the area around the glue lines? 

Dean says you should keep the boo in a dry box, but I figured that was until you glued it on, then it wasn't going to suck up any more moisture.  I know the boo was dead dry when I put it on, because the humidity in the room I keep my boo got down to 9% for a few days due to a wood burning stove.
Westminster, MD

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Bamboo expansion/Contraction
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:22 am »
I alway sand my boo last just before I am ready to put the finish on..I would make sure it is dry do the touch up sanding and apply the finish..

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:34:50 am »
I alway sand my boo last just before I am ready to put the finish on..I would make sure it is dry do the touch up sanding and apply the finish..

Maybe I take too long to build a bow ;D

Thanks for the reply.  Would you put the whole bow in a dry box for now?  I do not have one built yet, but considering for the hickory roughed out blanks I have.
Westminster, MD

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »
It wouldn't hurt to put it in a hot box at 85 or so for a bit.. then take it out and do your finish work..