Author Topic: Bamboo backed Sapele  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Bamboo backed Sapele
« on: May 18, 2009, 06:40:17 pm »
Anybody ever make a BBS. Just wondering, because a friend of mine gave me some Sapele (Entandrophragma cylindricum). From what I've read it is good in compression and dense kinda like Ipe. I'm in the process of making a BBO and would like to try this afterward, if it's worth trying. Thanks for any info.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Bamboo backed Sapele
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:59:18 pm »
I've tried it with hickory backing. Seems to work ok but it is softer than Ipe so I would not say its good in tension though or in compression. Ipe is much denser!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:44 pm »
Thanks. I worked with some of it today and you are right, it isn't as dense as Ipe. I put some on a new Osage bow for overlays and it looks purty good. I think I'll try it and just make the BBS a little wider and see what happens. Anybody else worked with this?
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:34:48 am »
Ya know the ol'sayen! If it dont work make it wider or longer.  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill