Author Topic: weekend luck  (Read 2700 times)

Offline sailordad

weekend luck
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:30:14 pm »
well this weekend i was on the prowl as i was running out of knapping material and in need of leather for sheaths too.
earlier in the week i had located a rock shop not to far from where i live and a tandy leather store not far from there ;D
while at the rock shop todai i bought a couple pieces of brazilian agate,picture jasper,a piece of moohkite or moonkite
along with a few pieces of colored sparkly glass.
now i am not sure if any needs to be heat treated and to what temps for how long.
also while i was there i looked on the bulletin board and got the phone number to a guy selling slabbed obsidion
well icalled the guy with the obsid,he was working so i went to tandy leather and bought a single shoulder of leather.
about the time we left there the gut with the obsidion called back and we arranged to meet.
so i drove out to his place(put on over 250 miles today)and bought some slabs of rainbow and mahogony and black,and a couple of banded slabs
hers a pic of all the rock on the leather along with a knife a iam making and needed the leather for a sheath.
please if anyone knows anything of the rock i bought from the rock shop(i.e. brazilian agate,pic. jasper,moohkite) like if it needs heating etc please let me know

thanks for looking                                                                  peace,
                                                                                                 tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: weekend luck
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »
Looks like some good stuff there Tim. I'm not sure about all the rocks ya got, but am pretty sure the mookite and agate's have to be treated. I worked a piece of that mookite when learning and ruined it - the guy that gave it to me was bout ready to hang me ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:43:46 pm »
Well Tim I wish I had those resources near me. You are a lucky guy. Tandy leather is a good distance away and I do not have any rock shops close that i know of. The Jasper and the Agate I do not think need to be treated. The other piece I do not know. The obsidian definitely does not need any heat. Good luck and post your results.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45:34 pm »
OK I was wrong. Let the experts chime in and give you the true answers. I am still learning and am not sure about what is and what is not.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:04:37 pm »
 Tim, heat treat the Mook, Agate, and especially the Jasper. Pieces that small I throw in the toaster oven at 450dgs all night. Turn it off in the morning and let it cool down all day. Your done.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 10:23:36 am »
I have tried knapping raw mookaite and brazilian agate, and you don't want to do that- trust me. Cook it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.