Author Topic: Finished my first bow  (Read 5485 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Finished my first bow
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:53:43 pm »
Here is my first attempt at building a bow.  It is an osage selfbow, 65" tip to tip, 35#.  I wanted to get a 50# bow at of it, but got carried away while tillering.  I used a piece of anter for the rest.  Its not pretty, but it shoots.  Hopefully my next one will turn out a little better.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline 0209

Re: Finished my first bow
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:00 pm »
Hey, nice bow you got there.  Definitely kicks the crap out of my first.  Also, if youre worried about the weight, you could probably spare to cut of a couple of inches off of each tip and retiller slightly.  That would boost your weight.  Anyways, congrats on a great bow
Best Regards,
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:13:07 pm »
man, thats not half bad.  a first one to be proud of.  you could lay some sinew on it later and get the draw weight up. but still an awesome first effort.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
Congrats on your first bow! lt looks really nice. Be proud of it!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:36:01 am »

Sure a nice first bow!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 06:02:34 am »
heck of a first. i agree with Ian and Sulphur, at a later date, after a few more bows you could knock some length off and sinew back it, retiller and gain a bit of draw weight. welcome to the addiction.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 06:23:08 am »
thats a fine first bow
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 07:03:55 am »
Looks good and I forsee lots more in yer future :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 11:15:04 am »
Good job, pretty bow and welcome to the club.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:22:15 am »
 first bow          very nice 8)

personaly i wouldnt change a thing,a first is just that,a first.i still have my first and its just like it was the day it was finished
just like my first stone points,i leave them as is so i can see the progression of my skills
its nice to be able to look back and see how our skills have grown with practice
congrats on your first,now start on that second then the third and fourth then we'll get ya to start knapping and making arrow too and knives etc
yup its a downhill slide in technology from here,so just hang on and enjoy the ride.its great ride too

keep up the nice work                                               peace,
                                                                                    tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:58:16 am »
Great job on the first! Now get going on the second one! Good shootin, Steve

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:23:56 pm »
That is a nice first bow....almost everyone misses their mark on poundage the first time.  Good job!
south central VA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 01:32:56 pm »
First bow, eh? This could easily be the 5th. Nice Job. We'll look at it again for May Self BOM FUN.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 01:44:08 pm »
Yep....Pike it a couple inces (you don't say what your draw length is)...retiller and flip the Tips and you should gain about 10 pounds at least....nice job for your first Bow....mine didn't look half that good!!

Oh....and find an Anchor Point....or you will be maing many more Bow...as they explode on you......... >:D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:48:49 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 10:11:29 am »
If your first one shoots, you have accomnplished something that most of us didn't-and I bet you learned a lot of things that can only be learned by making shavings.  Looks like you did a pretty good job on it, keep scrapin'.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.