Author Topic: Rattler Backed Static Recurve Paddle Bow  (Read 17282 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Rattler Backed Static Recurve Paddle Bow
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »
Well I haven't felt like working on a Bow in forever....got off on a Knife Making Tangent for a while....that I am sure that all of the Recipients of my Knives appreciated!! But ever since the Classic I got the "BUG" again...I haven't had much time since I am working 12 hours a day....7 days a week ever since I got Home from Pappy's....But I picked up this Hickory Stave that I had started on a year ago and decided to make a Static Recurve Paddle Bow out of it....I bent the Tips and backed it with a set of Rattler Hides that I killed two years ago...they didn't match perfectly...but once the Leather Grip was put on....you couldn't see the difference anymore...the Top Limb Skin has a Scar on it where it seems to have been Bitten by an Animal and healed up...you can see the different color to the Spot where the Bite is. The Bow is 66 inches nock to nock...2 1/2 inches wide at the widest part of the Fades...tapering to 3/8 inch Tips....it draws a little over 56 pounds at 29 inches...and is a typical acting paddle Bow...which I like! It isn't nothing beautiful...but to everyone that has gotten to know Me....they knowthat this is my Style of Bows...hope you like it

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:00:53 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

coyote pup

Re: Rattler Backed Static Recurve Paddle Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:41:28 pm »
Looks good to me. Don't look like it took much set....is it fast? What kind of string is that?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:47:34 pm »
It did good for set...but then I build mostly Paddle Bows...so I am getting a good eye for them....and it is so dry here in the Texas Panhandle...Hickory does great....the String is a Flemish Twist String made from Flax....from a distance it looks like Sinew...but I haven't the Patience for one of them!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 04:03:02 pm »
wow, beautiful bow and really great tiller El!  I also like how the snakeskins have "character".   Looks good "hovering" in your dining room too.  How'd you get it to float in the air like that?  Lol :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 04:05:15 pm »
That Hovering Bow Bit is a Trade Secret!!!! Naw...I have it hanging from a A/C Vent in the Ceiling!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44:36 pm »
Yes!!  The ol' Hovering Bow Trick....

Howdy E. Destructo,

I'm glad you decided to come back to makin' bows.

Hay, I have a, nearly completed, Paddle Bow, (it's 60" long, shooting for about 47#@28"), and I also intend to back it.  It's made from a nice Oak board that I found at the orange, Big Box building supply store.  I would like to put similar static recurves on mine, except, I have never built / bent a curve into a limb.  Can you provide further directions (and pictures) to show us how it's done?  I would especially like to see the form you used to bend it along with some dimensions and a description of the process.  Did you use heat?  Was it challenging to get the two limbs shaped so symmetrically?  And, did you put a long string groove on the back of the recurvered section, near the tips?

Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and by the way, I think your bow looks terrific.  When I see it, I think of using it for ground-blind hunting in the thick, thick woods...  Waiting...  to strike!

All the Best,
Canoe 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:51:57 pm by Canoe »
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:55:43 pm »
Damn Mike,

you do still know how to make a bow,and a beautiful one at that :o

glad to see you making bows instead of knives again,maybe i should follow your lead.lol
love them curves,first thing that comes to mind when looking at them curves is " VA VA VA VOOM"   he he he
the first thing that came to mind in the full draw pic was "hot damn thats a sweet tiller",second thing was "dude know body wants to see your knobby knees" just kidding mike.
personally i dont see any diff in them skins either,like you said the grip hid any noticeable differences in them.

well i need ti finish 4 knives and then maybe get on a bow,actually i have a dude stopping by tonight that wants me to build him a bow.

once again mike,glad to see you making scrapings again ;D

peace,
                                                                                             Tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Christophero

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:06:41 pm »
Looks like you haven't lost the touch.
BTW, what does a paddle bow act like?

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:15 pm »
Hey Mike that should just about cover the rent on the  canvas condo. ::)
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 05:36:00 pm »
If you look in the Top Picture ....you can see where the Skin is scarred near the Top Tip.....and here is a Picture of the differences between the Skins that the Handle is covering....As for how a Paddle Bow acts....They act like a Paddle Bow... >:D They are a Little bouncy in the Hand....No Stack but they do have a little Hand Shock...Lets just say...they have Spirit!! The Recurves were boiled in....just make sure that you leave enough material at the Tips in case they get some small cracks when the Limbs dry back out....you want enough to be able to scrape it back down to good wood again...also if you use a thin piece of tin or steel on the Belly Side when you bend the...this reduces the chances of having cracks in the Belly...I just used a 2X6 piece I had laying around...cut the dimensions in it I want ed and clamped on....here is a picture of one that I used on a Red Oak Board Bow I made years ago....crude ...but it worked fine. I have other Forms...but these work fine...

As for my Knees there Mr. Seelen...thats the Leg that got destroyed in the Bike Wreck....I'll take the knobby Knee over a Prosthetic any day......... ;) ;D

Cracker....you want one???????? You tell me what You would like it to be poundage wise....and We'll see what Santa Brings you this Year.... :P

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 06:07:30 pm »
Hey man, I like that. the flipped tips are cool on that style bow.
VB

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:33:30 pm »
El D

Nice looking bow.  The tiller looks as good as the detail work.   Does it draw as smooth as that osage bow you brought to TN?   Good job.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 06:40:49 pm »
Hey Rick...yeah it draws really smooth...nothing I have ever made Draws as sweet as that Sliver of Osage I brought to Pappy's!! But it does have a bit of Hand Shock on release as do most Paddle Bows...maybe some heavier Arrows would do the Trick
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 06:43:46 pm »
Yeah, wide bows work good in this darn dry weather out here....but at least it's a dry dryness... ;D

Looks great Mike.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 07:40:38 pm »
Thanks Patrick....it aint one of your Museum Quality Bows.....but it is a very useable Paddle Bow Design...and the Added Length make it a lot better for my Long Draw Length.... ::)
2024...We Will Overcome