Author Topic: bow for knap in  (Read 2949 times)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
bow for knap in
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:39:58 pm »
I have been getting ready for the Goldendale knap-in over the weekend and realized i only had 2 shootable adult bows, both of which were first bow that id rather keep as wall hangers just "in case". so having only monday and tuesday off and a 17month old to watch i had a total of 5-6 hours to make a new bow in between his knaps. i rushed this one, ended up with 64" 38#@28 hickory self board bow, gemsbok horn tip overlays, got 1.75" set, for 3 hours into the tiller i cant complain, didnt sand all the file marks out of the belly, but i spent about an hour on the tips alone. so for 4 hours into a bow i cant complain. think im going to give it to my fiancee after this weekend. thanks in advance for comments and critique.

Dustin D.

had to add this one in, he'll be hunting before you know it.

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline John K

Re: bow for knap in
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:45:31 pm »
You'r boy looks happy !

Nice bow for only 6 hours work  :o
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 05:19:59 am »
Very nice for a quickie.Tiller looks good. :) Good looking young man.You are right it goes quick. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:51:05 pm »
thanks John and Pappy. im going to put some time into taking out the file and saw marks after this weekend. i want to get it as smooth and streamlined as possible before i tell my woman its for her. i dont think im going to try throwing one together this quick again, it was kind of stressfull, and thats not fun for anyone.

thanks,
Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:20:38 pm »
Tiller looks good....nice job for such short time.  I have to ask, what did the yellow M&M do? ;D
south central VA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:26:20 am »
Nothin wrong with that bow, they don't have to be real purty to shoot well :)

The M&M looks a bit worried though ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:19:09 pm »
Very nice boy you've got there. Great new hickory bow, too! We'll look at it again in a couple of weeks for BOM.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday