Author Topic: owl feathers  (Read 6968 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: owl feathers
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 03:02:26 am »
Grunt,
The owl is the messenger of death.

Grunt

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 07:31:29 am »
Thanks for the info Traxx. It all makes since now. Most folks are only concerned with the physical properties of what ever elements they are using to make whatever they are making. It's a shame but too few of us recognise the metaphysical qualities as well.   I'll stick with the give away eagle, the turkey for my fletches.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:50:37 am by Grunt »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:43 pm »
 I feel kind of wierd, now. I've always been fasinated watching and listening too owls. During turkey season, when I'm back in the swamps, I love to call until I get two or three around me, and they all start that monkey calling.

I just feel connected to them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 02:01:57 am »

An owl hoot, in the early morning will make a turkey talk.  I was squirrel hunting in north Fla. and got bored, and I heard an owl hoot, and I hooted back, he hooted back, then another one hooted, and then another one.  They are very territorial.  Well this continued on for about five or ten minutes, and then the owls were in the trees, around me, all hooting, and squawking, and a big ol red tailed hawk was in the tree top, I was leaning against.  I was having a ball. I am like Eddie, I feel connected to them.  My Dad used to say screech owls were a Jonah!  He said whenever he saw, or heard one, his hunting day was usually a no score.  Anyway, amidst all this fun hootin session, I hear something tromping through the leaves, and then I see my buddy, come out of the trees, and he ain't happy.  He says, " I hope you're happy now, there ain't a squirrel within ten miles now! "  Actually, I was quite happy. ;D  I was really enjoying it.  Needless to say, we only had the squirrels that we had gotten before the owl session.  I still love to answer an owl when I hear one.  Before the lot next to my house was cleared, and a house built on it, there was a big ol dead pine tree, and every evening a big ol horned owl would perch in it, and softly hoot.  Put me to sleep.  I was always worried about my cat, with the owl around, but it never bothered it.    But Owls are one of my favorite birds. ;)

Wayne

Offline uwe

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »
Here are still existing supersticious farmers in Germany and they cath owls to nail them onto the great doubled doors (hope you got it) of their farmhouses to prevent fire!

gutpile

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 12:25:40 pm »
you may possess owl feathers if you are a card toting Indian...owl feathers are dead silent also...gut

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »
Gut,
Not necessarily.Permits are required as well.A card totein Ute friend of mine,was fined at the Denver Stock show and Rodeo,a few years ago,for not havein the proper permits for the eagle feather in his hat.So,apparently it is left up to the discrepancy of the Officer at the time,otherwise every NDN at a powow would be checked as well.