Author Topic: Backing for purpleheart  (Read 2511 times)

MAK

Backing for purpleheart
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »
I have a 26" draw. Would like 40-50 LB. Looking at 66" NTN length.

Would you recomend hickory or bamboo, or does it even matter? Because of the fretting nature of purpleheart, how thick should my backing be? How wide?

Thanks for any input.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Backing for purpleheart
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 10:28:09 pm »
Hickory would work fine and be less work than boo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:20:28 am »
Hey MAK,

I don't have a lot of experience but I did just finish a Maple backed Ipe bow.  My backing was between 1/8 and 1/16 thick.  Don't know about width...are you going to make a stiff or bendy handled bow?
1’—>1’

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:50:06 am »
Purpleheart is liked by some, but disliked by many. It chrysals extremely easily - more easily than you would expect.
I think bamboo is seriously overpowering the purpleheart. Hickory is only mildly weaker than boo, so it is still overpowering the purpleheart I think. I would definately stay away from bamboo. Hickory may be used, but only if left very thin (under 1/8") and preferably trapped.
I would choose a lighter backing, such as Ash (a favourite), Elm or Maple. Then still, it may be adviceable to trap the back (make the back narrower than the belly). Leave the belly flat at all times, and keep as much of the limbs working as possible.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline shamus

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:09:19 am »
Purpleheart was traditionally used as a core wood..sandwiched between a backing and a belly wood.