Author Topic: Would this work for a D bow?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Would this work for a D bow?
« on: May 10, 2009, 11:59:41 pm »
I split this off of an osage stave the other day.  It is really solid and has some nice rings.  I havn't done any research into D bows, but I hope this would work for one.  It just seemed to nice to throw away.  I figured there would have to be some kind of bow in it.  It is 65" long and about 2" wide most of the length and tapers to 1 1/2" at one end.  It doesn't have much twist in it either.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sailordad

Re: Would this work for a D bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:04:28 am »
looks to be about 3/4 inch thick,that should be plenty to make a bow.
its like they say "it dont take much osage to make a good bow"
good luck,keep us posted
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 12:27:05 am »
very nice, the bow gods have been kind. would be perfect for a "d" bow, an american flatbow.
good luck, and keep us posted

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 12:50:46 am »
very nice, the bow gods have been kind. would be perfect for a "d" bow, an american flatbow.
good luck, and keep us posted

chuck

Yes, I have definitely been blessed with the gift of osage.  Does anyone have any dimensions for a D bow?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

DCM

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 09:42:42 am »
By D bow I assume you mean a stiff handled bow.

For 50# to 60# @ 28" you could go 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" wide to midlimb than taper to 1/2" nocks.  Roughly 8" of handle section including 4" fades, 2" on upper and lower.  If the area where the handle will be is less than say 1 1/4" thick, or deep, you could flatten it off before you start and glue a couple of 1/8" slats there, say a 10" and 8", then shape that into the fades and handle.  Better to use muilitple thin pieces, plenty long, than a single, short thick piece which will almost certainly pop off, depending.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:10:24 pm »
That will make a nice Bend through the Handle D Bow...chase the next good Growth Ring in and it should be fine.....and if you want a thicker grip area...just build it up with Leather so it still works...good luck
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:53:04 pm »
That's a beautiful osage stave.....and heck yeah it would make a great bow of almost any design you wanted.  I should post some pics of the butt-ugly stave I'm working on....you wanna talk about TWISTED???  IT's ugly enough to scare Michael Jackson into being black again! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:55:57 pm »
D bows bend in the handle and yes that could make a nice bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43:43 pm »
That is more than enough osage for a simple bendy handle D bow.  I just finished one that was 52" NtN, I kept it 1 3/8" for the entire width tapering to 5/8" for the last 8" of the limb.  Just a simple flat bow but it shoots smooth and fast.  Save the handle bend for the last little bit of draw length.  You will probably end up with 3/4" thickness in the handle and about 3/8"  at the tips.  Those are just estimates.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:10:21 am »
Plenty wood for a bendy handle bow. And I gotta side with Mims on the title of "D bow"

I always called a bendy handle bow a "C" bow design, and the stiff handle bow "D". Just makes more sense to me. ???

Always was curious as to who named these designs anyhow? ???

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 09:41:56 am »
Timo, you are right in that  both the D and the C bend in the handle but there are differences. The D is tillered to barely bend in the handle and the tips are stiff. The D can be a bit longer than the C. The C bends more in the handle and the tips are stiff. Torges builds the C bow, at least according to my 60 year old memory that's what he said in his book. Heres a D.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boardbowbuildalong.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!