Author Topic: Bows of India?  (Read 5186 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Bows of India?
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:43:24 am »
i was watching Battles BC last night about alexander the great invading india.  there was a brief description of a bow the indians were using that the bottom limb was rested on the ground.  the bow was made for bamboo.  has anyone ever heard of this design or did i misunderstand the shooting technique they were using??
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Re: Bows of India?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:02:21 pm »
Chris, we have an engineer here at work that is from India. I have been picking his brain a little about the types of bows from India. He knows nothing about them but said his dad has some old bows from there and will get me pictures and some info on them. I'll let you know if I find out anything. He even mentioned something about an all steel bow ???. Can't wait to see pictures of that one.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:05:44 pm by Okie1 »
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline smokeu

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:23:55 pm »
Just found this after reading the post this one is mid to late 19c, 40inches long

[attachment deleted by admin]
Longview, TEXAS

Offline smokeu

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:37:18 pm »
Longview, TEXAS

Offline shikari

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 05:56:56 pm »
The bow in the pic is from the mughal era and is a steel bow,India also had composite bows commenly known as crab bows,the bamboo bows were more prevelent in the south and the northeast.the current  state of nagaland has native tribals who make bamboo backed and bellied bows,I had a bunch of naga arrows and examined one of the bows and shot it before moving to the states.The bows are usually short and smooth to draw,the string is usually made of fibre.My brother in law has a few friends who work with the tribals back in nagaland and have requested him to get one of the bows and some arrows for me.Now its a waiting game to see when I get them.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:39:58 pm »
I would love to own one of those steel bows from India.  I have seen photos of them where they are "damascened" with bronze inlays...fantastic work. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline shikari

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 02:04:47 pm »
The inlay work was usually gold or silver on the bows and is called Koftagiri,I am actually in the process of getting some reproduction damascus steel daggers with some koftagiri work,unfortunately the knowledge of manufacturing the steel bows is lost although you can get swords and daggers.

Offline shikari

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 01:14:54 pm »
found some pictures of some bows from India.