Author Topic: Wood bows, a little food for thought!  (Read 19785 times)

Offline Catahoula

Re: Wood bows, a little food for thought!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 09:06:47 pm »
Hi,
Well you should have seen my beautiful RD osageboo...worked on it for hours and hours and hours and it sure was a beauty...of course, watched the video and read the books and it sure was pretty...until I attempted to tiller my beauty and it blew up!  If it had been a flute I coulda sold it for 300 smackers...but flutes don't blow up!  I am back to reading and slowly working a mulberry stave...trying to actually "see" the grain lines...sure am looking forward to the T. Classic so I can at least see some self bows and maybe even hold one to try to get a clue.  Have patience guys...total newby here...found my old Bear Grizzly recurve a few months back and found archery again and it sure is a pleasure...even have a very long half RD osage/boo purple heart handled back scratcher as a result of my wandering through archery world.  Maybe I will even learn how to make and arrow and do a little knapping too down the road. 

Newby Rand:-)
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Roger

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 08:38:31 pm »
Jawge told me somthing years ago when I first started trying to make selfbows. I have always passed these words on to others as they came and went..."listen with your eyes". The wood will tell you its limits if you just listen.

Stuck with me all these years...LOL

R.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 01:39:46 pm »
Roger, Excellent words of wisdom from a guy that knows. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 02:03:37 pm »
A great post many of you have been a great help when Ive had questions,altho Ive read the books there is nothing like having someone to ask a question to.Finished my fourth bow yesterday a hackberry flat bow so Ill still have plenty of questions,Dont post anything on them much since I dont have the equipment and know how to post pictures.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 05:40:11 pm »
Thanks Dave.   Hopefully, in the future, you can also help a new guy(s) out with their leap into wood bow building.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Aosda

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 07:13:04 pm »
Very excellent thread.  It's threads like these that let me accomplish a success on my first try, with 2nd rate wood.  I did some homework, and everything I found lead to sites like these, and guys like Pat B. and Jawge constantly helping other bowyers.  I rushed into my wood selection (anxious to start whittling a bow) and got a Red Oak Board and a Poplar Board ( :-[you guessed it Home Depot Special :-[).  I think this actually helped me however, forcing me to take my time, read more posts, and ask a few questions.  So all in all, I ended up with a Poplar backed, Red Oak Board Bow with Maple/Red Oak riser/grip that is 72" TtT, 70" NtN, and 50# @ 28" (with only a slight hinge in the lower limb towards the tip).  I'd like to say thanks to all the bowyers on here that share their knowledge freely.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Roy

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 09:15:21 pm »
Good thread Pat..

Offline smokeu

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:01 pm »
I agree with just about every single post here.... thanks to all who have helped me out.

And to the newcomer read, read, read!

Thanks

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 07:48:21 pm »
>>will sit and ponder and stew and fuss and study and ask and still not ever hit a lick, for fear of failure.<<

Paralysis by analysis

I didn't notice if this was mentioned. There are so many helpful folks here it's a good idea to learn to take and post good photos of your bow project especially if you are in an area without a lot of bowyers to assist.

Is Mickey's site still up? I think MSN canned it along with JD Jones site.