Author Topic: Primitive takedown ideas?  (Read 5646 times)

deestor76

Primitive takedown ideas?
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:57:01 am »
I've been hoping to make a takedown fro a while now as living in europe kind of restricts movement with a bow, I was very impressed with Madcrow's epoxy handle and that's probably the way I'll go, BUT, I was messing around with some thick river cane and the Bhutanese bow idea yesterday... Unfortunately the cane snapped although it was the right thickness obviously I'll have to some real Bamboo. But this led me to thinking about the idea of an all wood take down with pegs and maybe some sort of compression handle and wrap (gut or rawhide).. What do people think.  I would like the bow to be in the 55-65# range, do you think this kind of handle could take the strain? Does anone have any ideas on designs, woods etc? i know that a primitive takedown is a contradiction in terms as takedowns are a product of the need to conceal/fly with  a bow BUT it would be nice to seeit could be done!!  :)

Thanks and any thought welcome..

p.s as im new here id better introduce myself - I'm English but i live in the south of Spain (Granada) where we DO have legal and coneservationist bow-hunting (unlike England  which doesn't regulate, just bans :( )

Offline markinengland

Re: Primitive takedown ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:46:07 pm »
I wonder if it would be possible to make a primitive hinge bow. Would thick rawhide be strong enough to take the tension?
Mark in England

deestor76

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »
hmmm it would have to be pretty hefty I imagine, how would you make the hinge?

i was thinking more along the lines of overlapped limbs aka bhutanese bow but with two or three dowel pegs and maybe two pieces of handle, one on back one on belly to sandwhich together with a rawhide wrap to hold in place... but ive never made a takedown so i have no idea about tensions.  I have an offcut of 32" from a hackberry stave im drying so if it splits okay i might try and experiment...  unless people in the know here tell me its a dead loss that is  :)

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:09:08 pm »
In one of the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles, Tim Baker talks about bows with limbs that are kept together by splicing the limbs over the handle area and wrapping both ends with cord.  Not a very quick takedown though.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »
It may not be wood, but I have seen a few that were hinged with a metal hinge.  Not the hardware store kind either, the man forged his own.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:02:13 pm »
Deestor,
The rawhide might be the hinge. Folds flat way, the ends but together and hide holds it together when opened.
I have heard that two gemsbock horns can be joined by a wooden handle, horns shoved on each end making a take down hornbow. I am not sure if I have ever seen this actually done though.
Madcrow,
I have tried various commercial hinges but none have been strong enough.
Mark in England

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:39:22 pm »
The article in PA on making a fiberglass sleeve mentions that sinew can be used the same way. Rawhide would work as well.
 Paul Rodgers used to make a primitive takedown model. Not sure if he makes bows anymore though.

deestor76

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:46:13 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input and sorry ive not been able to respond sooner, been out of  internet action for a while  :(

The hinge idea sounds interesting but it would have to be hefty i imagine.   i think im going to start off safe with a steel tube or madcrows epoxy style. im going to cut down my hackberry stave which is a real twisty turny thing and see if i can get a couple of 32inch lengths out of it and then have a go.  i have doubts about the grain though.    Can i take two 32inch staves from different sides of the branch or do i have to follow the grain on the same side even though the two pieces would be only connected by the handle?  If i could get away with it it would make life a load easier as the thing turns in about 3 directions along its length!!

thanks again guys and sorry for the delay

nathan 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:41:10 pm »
Instead of a sleeve, I think you could make a tube out of strong wood and wrap it with enough sinew or rawhide to keep it from splitting when drawing the bow. The thickness of the walls of the wood tube would need to be at least 1/2" thick, I think...which will make the handle a bit bulky...but it might work.

You could also put a splint on the back and belly, where the two halves join, and wrap with cord.  But as already mentioned, it would take time to assemble/disassemble.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 02:08:12 pm »
hollow out a elk horn for the sleeve??

deestor76

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:26:17 pm »

jack I had also thought about a splint, maybe river cane and rawhide or some such, i dont think it would take too long to put together, its worth thinking about, the handle is also a nice possibility tho im not sure about the size ...what wood would you recommend though?   

knightd - and elk horn sounds fab! ;D would really solve the problem of the thickness of the handle.   not sure where to get one here in Spain tho... ill think on it... it would certainly make for a character bow , and of course the handle is there to keep even if the limbs break... interesting

thanks again

nathan

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 04:43:57 pm »
Nathan, now that I think about it, you might be able to get away with using a solid rawhide tube.  Just find some tough rawhide about 6" wide, soak it in water, put the two halves of the bow together, wrap the rawhide around several times to build up the thickness to about 1/2"?, add some hide glue to make the rawhide stick to itself, wrap tightly with an ace bandage, and let dry.  As long as the tenons on the billets are tapered slightly, it shouldn't be too much trouble to pull the bow apart and the rawhide sleeve would be a perfect fit.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

deestor76

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 05:42:16 pm »
interesting... its definitely worth giving some  thought....  thanks!

nickf

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 02:26:58 pm »
take a piece of bamboo, wrap alot of sinew around it, and give it a try :p

Nick

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 03:04:19 pm »
Hey Deestor.. for the $20 shiping I could send you a piece of elk horn to try?? send me a PM if you think you would like to try it..