Author Topic: Osage trees  (Read 2948 times)

MAK

Osage trees
« on: May 10, 2009, 07:47:29 am »
Okay guys, I live south of the Twin Cities in MN. I know osage is not native to these parts, but I would like to try to grow a few trees on my property. Problem is, I don't know where to get any seedlings. Can anyone help me out? What kind of growth rate do you think I could expect, provided the winters don't kill them?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Osage trees
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:45 am »
I can send you some Horse Apples to plant ...but it will take twenty to thirty years before you have any Trees to whittle on......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:45:23 am »
you could go to the local supermarket in the summer.all the ones in my area of mn have hedge ball for sale in the summer months.
they are good for keeping spiders out of the house.

i live in the st cloud area.if i was you i would look for black locust,or being your south of the TC you may be able to find the occasional
hickory tree.i met a guy 2 yrs back that was from farmington and he had a farm in southern mn.he had a cut and seasoned hickory stave
that he gave me.he said it was from his farm in southern mn.or else ash,oak,hop hornbeam aka iron wood,apple,plum,crab apple,choke cherry etc.
good luck,let me know what ya find and if ya need help dropping them and splitting them,i work cheap,just ask for some for my own use.
i got a nice new chain saw thats just waiting to drop a tree or three ;D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:02:49 pm »
osage can be a pretty overwhelming.  if not native it may take over or not grow at all.  remember farmers used to make living fences with it.  thorny straggly looking fences.  check with a local horticulturist ( is that the right scientist???).

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:14:40 pm »
You might have to move to a more osage friendly state! ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left