Author Topic: Anyone frmo Nebraska??  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Anyone frmo Nebraska??
« on: March 13, 2007, 01:32:14 am »
 I am going to be in the southwestern portion of Nebraska next Thursday and Friday, scouting for turkeys at Medicine Creek WMA in Frontier County.  I was wondering how far east I would have to go to start getting into osage?  I would like to try and find some to cut while I'm out there.

Thanks
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Anyone frmo Nebraska??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:32:05 am »
Hi,  Before the advent of barbed wire, osage was promoted for use in growing hedges around fields in the recently opened nebraska territory.  As a result osage is sporadically encountered throughout eastern Nebrska.   Ron

A man should make his own arrows.  Omaha proverb
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline WTK

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:27 am »
I've lived and worked all over Nebraska until a year and a half ago and saw osage in the eastern part of the state but rarely that far west. But I found some cut into posts and sold at local lumber/ranch supply stores in the western sandhills. So check around at these types of supply stores in that area and you might find nice staves already cut for you.
Want To Know

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 02:32:06 am »
I recently bought a stave from a gentleman in Tecumseh, really nice stave too, I get to start chasing rings tomorrow
GBR!