Author Topic: Ever use an OSAGE backing?  (Read 3029 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Ever use an OSAGE backing?
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:15:23 am »
I have a hickory bow underway, and it is coming out pretty light.  I have some osage I could slice off for a 1/8" or so backing.   Does anyone EVER use osage for a backing? Or should i make a hickory backing for it?  I don't have any bamboo and i'm such a tightwad I don't want to buy any right now.   Thanks to all you experienced guys who will pass along your advice and experience on this one.   Without the free sharing of ideas this forum would be nothing but a scramble of tired out electrons. 

piper

Offline snedeker

Re: Ever use an OSAGE backing?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:36:12 am »
I never had and osage is a little finicky in edge grain orientation.  If it would be easy for you to make some whitewood backing I would do that.

Dave

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:58:19 am »
Osage won't work in board form as a backing unless it is one ring on the back like a self bow. You'd be better off gluing the Osage on the belly of your hickory if you can get it flat enough. Hickory is a mediocre belly wood at best but shines as a backing, Osage is a much better choice for a belly wood.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:08 pm »
If you are doing it to increase weight, id add it as a belly lam/lams.  Ive used Osage as belly lams to increase weight with perfect results.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:42:56 pm »
Ya, i figured as much.   I'll slice off some ash or hickory and fatten it up with that.  I'd hate to try to fit osage on the belly now 

thanks, piper (wishing he was in tennessee)

Offline horseapple

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:48:23 pm »
Osage for backing will work, done a handfull, the trick or method is to use edge grain like you do for hickory backing.  The bows I made were edge grain osage with walnut cores and osage belly.

JD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:47:04 pm »
Only on self bows! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:27:44 am »
Thats what I was going to say Pat.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God