Author Topic: log into staves  (Read 5961 times)

Offline oakfall

« on: May 02, 2009, 05:06:58 pm »
I'm ready to "stave" out a HHB log. Is there an advantage to splitting with wedges over cutting with a circular saw? Will the wedges find a natural seam?
How do you decide where to make your cuts/splits? Do you look for the section of  log that will have a natural reflex?

Thanks for helping a beginner.
Oakfall

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: log into staves
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »
Yes there is an advantage to splitting in that it will follow the grain of the log but if it is pretty straighted grained there won't be any problem cutting it. I have split logs in all kinds of ways including a circular saw, but unless you are making a bow out of a small diameter sapling i would probably just split it with wedges.
SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 06:36:32 pm »
i have aqsked this very same question a few months back.

i was told that if the brak is relatively straight,to kerf it from end to end with a circualr saw about half inch or so deep
then split with wedges.

hhb is like elm with interlocking grain,and will twist when splitting even with straight bark on it.
i found this out first hand with my two smaller of five logs.
bark was almost perfectly straight,and twisted pretty bad when splitting.
so i would say wait for the more knowledgible ti chime in
but i would find a log with the straightest looking bark,then kerf like i explained it.
this should give the most usable wood from the logs ith minimal twist.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 08:47:19 pm »
If you split it it will automatically follow the lateral or vertical grain. I think using a circular saw on anything but dimension lumber is unsafe. I've been on the back end of kickbacks when using it on lumber. It's not pleasant when it happens.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
I always split'em. I think kerfing is more likely to violate the grain. Splitting to me is a lot faster and easier than trying to kerf a log with a skilsaw anyway.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:44:11 pm »
Splitting is the way to go. If the fibers are holding tight a good sharp ax will assist you as the log is split.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 04:47:45 pm »
Best to split.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline yazoo

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 04:49:33 pm »
staves should never be started with a skill saw, staves are split out , lumber is sawed out, just remember never saw out staves , I have read to chalk lines and saw kerf to force split,,     do not force the split it will cause problems later, find a crack in the end of the log start there, let nature take its course, if you try to fight mother nature you will loose, heat straighten the staves when you reduce them later,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 06:42:15 pm »
Mike knows how to split logs to get the most out of them and has good advice.

Him and his dad gave a log splitting demonstration at Twin Oaks.

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 08:09:34 am »
I'm gonna have to disagree with the masses here on this. I've defenantely worked up more than my share of osage over the last 15 yrs.If a log is clean and straight sawing a kerf  does not cause problems later. Sure a straight grained log will split fine without it but It can help one control splits and reduce waste in a good log.

Does not the latereal grain get violated when one tapers a limb?

This approach is not for everyone, or the inexpeirenced, but it does work well.It's just another avenue that we can travel. If the grain is less than perfect,then by all means don't try to force it where you want it to go. But if ya get one of those perty ones,then by all means give it a try.

Offline yazoo

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:22:42 am »
I have split osage since 1987, I dont think there is an osage log around that is straight enough to saw, and sawing kerfs actually produces more waste,because you would need to have extra wide staves to ensure the grain is not violated you would end up wasting more wood, you can split 2in wide staves and have confidence in what you have, I am in the business of selling staves, and would never saw staves,because it is missleading the customer in thinking the stave is perfect,  and yes the grain is violated as the limb tapers, unless the limb is the same width to the tips the grain is gradualy violated with the taper of your limbs,  jmo  mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 11:58:51 am »
My issue is not with kerfing or using a band saw to spit staves. With a band saw hands are away from blades. If the staves are band sawed just follow the lateral grain during layout. If staves are split, the spilt will likely follow the grain.  My issue is one of safety. In my view, using a circular saw to kerf a log is dangerous. Circular saws are for lumber. I've grew up the son of a carpenter, woodworker, farmer around wood, power tools, radial arm saws, drills, etc. You name it and I've used it. I won't use a circular saw to kerf a log but I have used a hatchet and a 2 lb sledge. Anyone here ever been on the wrong end of a kick back? I have. It's not pleasant. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:17:57 pm »
I agree, circular saws are ONLY for the most skilled. Besides, if your log is straight grained to begin with, it's much quicker and safer to just split it out. If your log halved out straight then your stave should split out straight too. Have you halved your log? That should be done on site, saves from dragging out a lot of useless wood.

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 03:14:46 pm »
all the osage I have split , split real easy too..once you got it going its a piece of cake..gut

flatheadkid

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 08:01:21 pm »
I am planning on making my own staves this summer.  I was wondering why no one talks about controlled splits. 
I have some experience splitting logs for birch canoes.  When you split the logs you torque to left and right in order to get a very controlled split and very predicatble sized log.  This also avoids crossing grain as sawing does, which results in weak wood.  THe bends in the canoes don't hold well with sawed lumber but do very well when spilt this way. Just curious. ???