Author Topic: Winged elm bow  (Read 14634 times)

DCM

Re: Winged elm bow
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 07:42:27 am »
You worked your majic again Timo.  With that tiller profile it should make good cast for it's weight.

You done inspired me bud.  And it looks like I got a day to work.

Offline Bear

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 02:12:47 pm »
Very nice, Timo. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to tiller an RD with that kind of character.
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 02:30:13 pm »
Fine looking stick there, Tim. You did a great job getting that tiller from that piece of wood. Like those spliced tips, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 08:21:28 am »
 Thanks Mims,  and thanks again for the wood....I think?  ;D Interesting piece this one was. Almost seemed to be spalted in that upper limb. really nice colors going on with it. No dye job on this one.Even cut in a shallow shelf.I figured Ryano would be proud? ;D

Thanks Bear, and yes it was a "bear" to tiller.

Thanks Hillbilly, Had the idear to do some tips like that for a long time, just never could muster up the courage. Got several other thoughts on tips, but that will have to wait till next bow builidng season as right now I'm getting covered in work.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 08:45:24 am »
Love it Tim :) Picked a couple of winged elm staves up at the classic(plus a few others ;)) looking forward to trying it out
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline faltenhemd

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 08:53:21 am »
awesome bow! i like those wings.
(btw we also call them flip flops)
Swabian in Switzerland

DCM

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 08:57:18 am »
I thought I recognized those big pieces in your truck Dana.  It's good you rescued them from Shannon.  He'd swore they weren't going back to Kaintuck with him.

I picked up a piece off of him as well.

It's a crying shame what these rendevous do to the price of bow wood, well unless you is wood po and in the market.  I say premium osage staves for $10.  Heck, Shannon had a premium, I'm mean straight as a string, HHB that was two bows wide at least and he said fellars was trying to bargain him off of $10 for it.

Timo I'm fixing to build a tri lam with a full riser mild r/d bow, ala the Wingnut paradigm.  See if I can get near widder behavoir from it.  Trying to figure out how add mass weigth to the riser, up to and including a piece of rebar....

A boy in the neighborhood cut a nice pignut, prolly 20" on the butt.  I could not help myself, and to stop and look yestiddy.  Called them and left a message I wanted a section but ain't heard back.  Darn shame to see it reduced to fire wood.

I need more bow wood like I need another hole in the head.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 09:05:48 am »
David I do believe I also ended up with the HHB ;D Split it down the middle for 2 staves :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

DCM

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 09:13:03 am »
Well at least you live up to your reputation.  LOL!  Good.  Glad it went to somebody who can appretiate it.  Lots of folks just don't realize what goes into fetchin' such up outa the booga woods.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 09:23:46 am »
Nice bow Timo. We don't have winged elm around here, just piss elm and slipery elm. I am proud of you for trying something new. Let us all know if it blows to pieces on you like some people seem to think they will.... ::)  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 09:32:15 am »
Very nice bow Tim.  Elm is one of the best bows woods I have available locally and I make use of it quite often
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline horseapple

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 10:17:58 am »
Nice work Timo, as always  8) got me inspired to turn the lights back on in the shop.

JD

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 12:42:11 pm »
Sweet bow Timo,got to love them snakes.Very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PeteC

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 08:07:48 pm »
That's a beauty,I really like the tips,very unusual.Great job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Timo

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 10:53:37 pm »
Thanks faltenhemd. :)

Thanks Dana, and good luck with your w/elm,(smells good when ya heat it up) ;D

Thanks Ryano,yes I play with different woods from time to time, but I always go back to my osage. Been thinking on another wood that ain't used much lately, but that will have to wait until winter.

Thanks Marc, I appreciate it. Bout time for you to post up another one ain't it? ;)

Thanks JD! were you been hiding boy? Been chasing them wild women I rekon? ;) You going to the jam?

Thanks Pappy, I'll get down there to shake your hand next year.

Thanks Pete, I love to been different and unusual. ::)